Help me! I'm a Fender guy but I'm wanting a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I could see that. I tried all the Ric models at NAMM a couple of years ago and although Ric isn't really my thing have to say I was very impressed with the 4004's. With it they've solved all of the Ric 'problems,' if they can be called that (matter of opinion). Sleek, compact and light, they're real players.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You're in heat.

Have a drink, a quick lie-down - and wait a week.

If it's still got you by the...well...whatever. If you still feel the urge (after a week) go check it out and stop fighting it.

Many fine players own a Ric. Yours is no disgrace if you get one.

(Note: just remember that the wanting and the having are two completely different things. Something to always keep in the back of your mind whenever a strong GAS attack hits you.)

Luck!

3. I think that most would agree that I could be classified as a "Fender guy". I own nine American Fenders and a Music Man Stingray. I too got the urge to see what Rickenbackers are all about. I got a 4003W (the walnut edition) in February and love it. So much so that I ordered a 4003SW and I like it even more.

11038931_10153335124128185_7500970467758211037_n_zps1fv4rkd0.gif

2%20Rickenbackers_zpso7bjbng2.gif

Now I'm Fender AND Rickenbacker guy.

Mark me down as another fan of the 4003S models...

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    HOW DARE YOU..!

Just kidding:) I love my p and j basses, but woud get a rick if I wanted to. I just don't.

Rock.

5. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Members like you always make me feel much less guilty owning a few extra basses. Thanks :)

drummer5359 likes this.
  6. I'm glad that I am able to help...

7. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    I have heard that different years of some older Rics can have different (thinner) neck profiles. I've heard some vintage ones are more comfortable than later ones.

I've also heard that the necks on the ones made in the last few years have been more comfy than ones made before 2012 or something. Any credence to this? I'm not a ric owner and I'm also going to be on the hunt for a ric that would be perfect for me.

Also, doesn't the 4003s have a slimmer neck, front to back?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Thanks!

hintz likes this.

8. If you order from Musiciansfriend or GC you can return it. A lot of leg work but you wont loose $ if you dont like it. Im spoiled with easy access in LA but when I lived in Rural Oregon I ordered a 4003 sight unseen, it was a lemon , sent it back very easily to musiciansfriend, gave them another chance and the next was great.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  9. 7bridges

7bridges Supporting Member

May 3, 2015
    SW FL
    Yes it does. And here's another vote for the 4003S. Lot's of fun (even though I just bought a new Fender Am. Std. P this week).

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm also a "Fender Guy"; but I've owned a lot of others (Stingray's; Rics; Gibsons; G&L; Epiphones; Modulus; etc.). I've enjoyed all of them, although I always seem to feel most at home with my Fenders.

IMO opinion there is no more beautiful, eye-catching bass than a Ric 4001/4003. I had a beautiful Fireglo, and an even more gorgeous Montezuma Brown (both 4003's). But for that "old pair of jeans comfort", I guess I'll always prefer the Fenders. But that's just me.

I will say though, that once you get the fever to get a Ric, you won't be happy until you do it. And they really are great basses, so go for it. We all have different comfort factors with basses; and maybe you'll find that Ric is "THE ONE" for you! They really are stunning...

11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    This is good advice. But if that RIC speaks to you... Go forth. I tried a bass and didn't buy it on the spot. Next day, it was gone. I think about it often and have dreamt of it, even. Missing that bass resulted in me getting a G&L and Markbass set up of significantly better quality, and I'm glad I did... But I still wish I had jumped on that other bass. Though I wouldn't own the new setup if I had bought it.

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Maybe this will help:

IMG_20151121_173558964.jpg

13. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    Buy the RIC. Yes, it will feel different from your P-Bass, but you'll get used to it. After all it's a RIC and nothing sounds like a RIC. And don't sell your P-Bass, this way you'll have the best of both worlds.

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Particularly when that member is named "Drummer." (!)

Eikari and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  15. So just to dot point this and hopefully save you a 2hour drive and $2000 dollarydoos these are reasons not to get one:
    * uncomfortable
    * expensive
    * QC is inconsistent
    * poor customer service
    These are just my observations from reading posts on here. I don't own a Rick but I do think they sound great.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Why do you want a Ric?
    Is it because of the way it looks? It's been estimated that 8 out of 10 bassists (new bassists, for the most part) want one purely for looks...strange but true.
    Do want one because of McCartney, Chris Squire, Al Cisneros, or whoever your favorite bassist might be? Many people want to buy a particular bass simply because they want to play what their idol plays...silly but true.
    Or do you just yearn for that Ric sound, a sound some people say you can't get out of any other bass? Sure, you can get close with a Peavy T-40 but people might think you're a C&W bassist and some people definitely don't want to be labeled that, even if they do like to wear cowboy hats every now and then...sad but true.

17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I think G&L ASATs or L-2000s sound like a Rickenbacker when their pre-amp switch is set to Treble Boost.

18. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Ballin'bass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    For goodness' sake! Buy the Ric! It's not supposed to feel like, sound like, or play like a Fender. Those are the reasons to buy it.

I have several axes but none of them (yet) are the same model, make or anything like that. They are all different and each has it's own very unique voice in the overall spectrum of my playing. And I play all of them (or I would if my friend would give me my Guild back). Having a changeup like a Ric to contrast with your Fender axes would for me be refreshing and inspiring and I'm betting it will lead you on to different ways to express yourself on the instrument.

Good luck!

jj4001 and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  20. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    A Fender P, a Fender J, and a Ric provide you with great coverage. See my '74 Ric 4001 below, along with my '74 Fender J and an assortment of other Fenders and more. They all get extra love at the appropriate time, especially in the studio, though you can see from my icon, that the Ric has seen many live shows, as has the J.
    DSCF2388.JPG

fretter, hintz and JMacBass65 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021