Help me! I'm a Fender guy but I'm wanting a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I'm a Fender guy too, but I have had a Rick for 35 years. Love it.

Go for it, I say!

Mantis Tobaggan and hintz like this.
  2. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Before you drop 2k, consider other equipment needs that you have. A couple of effects pedals? A speaker cabinet, perhaps. This type of purchase will help subside your craving. I might add a couple bottles of guitar polish and fretboard oil, so you can go home and show some love to those Fenders.

3. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    The 77' I once owned had the perfect neck for me, it wasn't jazz bass skinny but much skinnier than the 2001 I had, but then again I tried another 70's era Ric that had the fattest neck I *ever* played, it was too much actually!! So IME the older ones vary big time!

Ballin'bass likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Mantis Tobaggan, D.M.N. and TMARK like this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    tumblr_mq1w1su1SG1qmoxw3o1_500.gif

6. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I like how Ricks draw out every boorish, Chauvinistic base level responses you find on the Talkbass. So much hate, it's funny. Ric posts could replace Rohrschach tests for the TalkBass crowd.

7. There's some federal law that states that once you play a Fender, you are legally obligated to play nothing else but Fenders. Violations are punishable by 5 years probation and a fine of $10,000. Blame the Fender lobbyists! ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I've got to admit, it's the look that drives me. I have a long history with Fenders and such, and can derive most any sound I want with them, so it's not for want of a RIC sound that I'm driven. I don't know why, I just friggin' love their look. Always have. Always will.

9. If you feel the calling to get one, go play it and see if it speaks to you.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Try a 4003s no binding, dot inlay and considerably less than a 4003. Here is mine 14481484505191840693782.jpg

11. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Dude they are beautiful and sinister and classy all at once. Love the look. But also the action on the neck and the tone are so nice. It is the total package. I can play so fast and precise.

hintz likes this.
  12. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I wanted one until I held one. The neck just did not feel good to me. Those 4004's though, they might make me take a second look.

13. foolforthecity

Thats funny, but you know I believe you're right! I've never seen such a polarizing bass in my life. Even back when I first saw one and got into bass back in the mid-70s it had those lovers that would kill for it and those haters that would kill because of it.

I find beauty in most any bass and while I love my Fenders for gigging I have the odd occasionals that I pull off the wall and enjoy more often than not simply for their own little virtues in the privacy of my studio. That might be where this RIC would fit for me, I just don't know yet.

TMARK likes this.
  14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Play what you want.
    Not what some say you're obligated to.
    Get the Ric.

TMARK likes this.
  15. foolforthecity

So is it your main gigging axe?

16. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, it took some adjusting but now that I am used to it, I love this bass. image.jpeg

gebass6, TMARK and Gilmourisgod like this.
  17. foolforthecity

Ah yeah, there we go! Cool

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  18. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    I think they are polarizing because you either love them or hate them. There really is no in-between.

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    For me, a Jetglo will always be The Quintessential Ric, cause that was my first bass, a 1979 4001 I sold during my brief disastrous "Jaco Wannabe" stage, still regret it to this day. It was the only bass I ever owned that got positive comments every time I played it. I honestly don't know why they are so polarizing on TB, its just a bass, not a religious icon, but people get crazy pro and con. They are not perfect, by any means, but still a great player with a sound that's tough to duplicate. Personally I love the 60's sci-fi sleekness and "cresting wave" shape, some people don't see it, no worries.

20. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I really don't get the hate. I have seen so many basses that don't do it for me personally and I have never felt compelled to smack talk. Not sure why the Rick draws such ire. Of course, I am assuming it is jealousy. :thumbsup:

Spectrum, hintz, TMARK and 1 other person like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021