Help me! I'm a Fender guy but I'm wanting a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I guess I'll have to do a little digging for the prices some of you guys are calling out. Interestingly enough I scouted GC and Sam Ash around Texas today by phone and they were ALL locked in at non-negotiable $1949.99, period, for the 4003.

2. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
  3. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    In Early October I bought a 4003 for $1650 from Sam Ash. They can move on the price.

DinoRock likes this.
  4. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    MF quoted $1700 via email. In store they can cut it down from there. Maybe not GC but Sam Ash surely.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Don't expect it to feel like a Fender!
    It's not a Fender.
    When you buy a new car do you expect it to feel like your old car?

6. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    No I think you're correct. As a slapper, I can tell you that a ric 4003 or 4001 is the very antithesis of a slap bass. Just impossible, hence the reason why it has remained last on my list of basses to own. The neck is also what ppl love or hate. They are notorious for being baseball bats and some people love that, though I suspect most don't. But people say that some years are much easier to handle than others. Either way, I'm convinced I need to try before I buy.

I will say there is a late 70's 4001 at my local mom and pop guitar shop in Madison. I decided to give it a try and while still a bit cumbersome, it had superb action and it was much more comfy than any other ric I've held yet. Had mad mojo. I just ain't a fan of the pale yellow finish on it.

7. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I hear ya!! I felt like I was *cheating* whenever I played the 77', like it wasn't fair to other bassist's;)

I am in the process of saving up to buy that one back too, never should've sold it!

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  8. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I do wish I still have my '72 Ric 4001. I was playing this as well as a pair of Fenders back in the 90's.

20151114_124247.jpg

9. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    That yellow was once white. My first Ric was white but turned really really yellow.

I slap too. I learned to slap on a 4001. I've played Warwick's Fenders G&L EBMM Sadowskys, and they are all better for slap than a Ric. That being said, I'm digging it for slap now. There are two problems with a Ric for slap: low low action and minimal relief that just is not as percussive as a Fender; and there is almost no clearance for your plucking fingers, they just slam the pickguard. So I've been slapping it a bit and I've worked around the clearance issue. It's still not as percussive as I would like. But it has a I ique tone, almost like a P but more defined.

Ballin'bass likes this.
  10. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    I didn't know that about the finish changing that much, that's pretty crazy. Cool though.

Idk, I've never gotten a good slap tone from a ric, not even compared to a precision. Are you saying that a ric can sound brighter than a precision bass? I have limited experience with rice but I've always found them to be thumpier.

TMARK likes this.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    First of all don't ever spend $2000 on a new Rick ... I recently bought one from Musicians Friend for under $1500 ...

Second ... if you don't like the Ric you can resell it and not lose money ...

Third ... A Ric will feel and play and sound different than a Fender ...

12. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    Dave Meros (Spock's Beard) went the other way with his 4001:

davemeros.jpg

He replaced the original pups with DiMarzios and added two more DiMarzios in the '70s Jazz positions (adjusted for scale length), along with a number of other mods. More recently he replaced the Jazz pups in the Rick positions with Seymour Duncan Rick replacements. He's got the pickup selector switch wired to go between the Jazz and Rick position pairs of pickups.

"I could have just as easily bought a Jazz Bass and put the extra couple of Ric-position pickups on that, but Rics look so much cooler than Jazz Basses and I'm in a prog rock band, so there you go."

13. If you like the comfort of the Fender forearm and belly cuts you can always look into the 4003s or 4003sw models. They have contours instead of binding, but they don't have stereo out and the fret markers are dots instead of sharkfins.

gebass6 likes this.
  14. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Anyone who lives in Orlando area, Guitar Center has a used Dean Motto in perfect condition for like a $100. Same color as in this picture.

15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Black friday. I got mine for 16+ on labor day at GC

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    And I thought $225 at the GC in Plymouth Meeting was a good price...perfect shape, recent fret-edge file.

17. foolforthecity

thanks, I'm gonna dig around a bit on those, they're interesting!

18. foolforthecity

Thanks for that info, DR - very interesting and love the differing perspective.

19. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

It's not a 4003FG, but I sold an Am. Std. Jazz to get this 4003JG that eluded me for sometime. Go for the 4003FG.

1p1JZgB.png 96NzNuT.png

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  20. Yeah, I don't understand this at all. The first RIC I played was only a few months ago, and it was a new Fireglo 4003s, and the neck was super slim and comfortable. I love ultra slim Ibanez SR necks and dislike thicker Fender necks. I really wish I bought it, but I couldn't afford it.

I went back a few weeks later, and it was bought, but replaced it with a new Jetglo 4003s. I tried to play it, but the neck was a baseball bat. It was too thick, my hand cramped up, and I put it back instantly.

I thought RIC's were CNC'd, so what's the deal?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021