Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me, I'm not smart

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KDJazz, Apr 14, 2005.

1. KDJazz

KDJazz

Apr 14, 2005
    I'm concitering (by this I mean trying to get some money) buying a bass guitar. The only problem is, well, I'm a bit of a moron visa vi bass guitars. Obviosly I'm planning on getting intruction, but first I have to decide what guitar to get, and I'm having a bit of trouble. If anyone has any idea about what type would be best for me, or even how I could figure that out (yes, I'm that stuipid), I would greatly apreciate it.

2. get a cheap starter bass, go for one of those kits with a bass, amp, tuner, bag, strap, for like $200

3. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    No one knows everything. Very smart to ask.
    Mostly you do not know what you like or dislike yet.
    I would concur that you need to spend little money on
    a bass and amp. $200 should get you a basic bass and
    starter amp. You could pay less if you can wait a little
    by buying used on ebay.
    People here have had pretty good luck with SX basses which are basic basses.
    The fastest way to grow your ability is to spend the most money on lessons. At some point, with good training, you may outgrow a basic bass.
    Always know that people who have developed talent will sound great on a crap bass. The oppose is also true. With no talent, no amount of money spent on an instrument will make you sound good.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1

5. KDJazz

KDJazz

Apr 14, 2005
    So it's best to go basic...thanks. I live in a fairly small town, so I'm not sure that there's much in the way of lessons...I'm sort of dubios about books though (there's some things you just need to hear and be taught in person)...assuming I can't find an instructor though, is there anything you can recomend?