1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me -- I'm turning into "Lakland boy"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Nov 12, 2006.

1. I can't help it. I feel like Pookie from New Jack City. Them Laklands keep CALLING me!!! I think the reason is that they're the best 5-strings I've ever played -- that neck and that B-string are the BOMB. I just bought my third Lakland and as always, there's a story behind it ...

I recently bought an MTD Zephyr. I liked the fact that was an MTD and it had the unusual finish. I figured, "Hey -- it's got that dual soapbar vibe and a little burl-bling happening. It ought to be straight!" Humpf. :rollno:

I realize that everyone has their own taste but I couldn't warm up to the tone of that bass to save my life. I can't put my finger on what it was but it just wasn't happening for me.

I changed the strings (twice), changed the setup. To no avail -- it wasn't floating my boat. (Dr. Cheese told me, "Man, your MTD is like a fine woman who can't cook. You love looking at her but you know you can't marry her! He was on point with that!)

I decided to buy an Audere 4-band preamp to install into the bass. I was like -- "Hey, If I can't get the tones I like with this, it's not doable!" I ordered the Audere but when it got here, I had two thoughts:

1. "If you significantly modify this MTD and still don't like it, you will reduce the resale value to a point where you will lose money."

2. "You are searching for the thick Dual-Soapbar tone in a wide-spaced 5-string bass. Waitaminute -- somebody already makes that bass, fool. It's called a Lakland 55-01!!!

So I sold the MTD and broke down and went 55-01 shopping. But I had one final dilemma: "What to do with this 4-band Audere preamp I bought?"

Well, long story short, Saturday morning, I bought a Black/Rosewood 55-01. Saturday afternoon, I took it (and the Audere) to my bass tech and told him to work his magic.

I expect that by Wednesday, I should have the bass back. I cannot WAIT to hear what it sounds like!!! :hyper:

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool... I've been wondering about an Audere in a 55-01. Very interested to hear how it turns out.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There's nothing wrong with finding what works for you, Iota. Personally, I'm a big fan of Ernie Ball/Music Man and Peavey. Heck I would have few Laklands too if I had the dough.:oops:

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Dwayne, I wouldn't be asking for help if I had basses like you, ya ingrate!!! :spit:

:D

I'm glad you've found a solution to your MTD problem!

I can't wait to hear how you like the modded 55-01. What are your thoughts on the stock preamp? I've actually never played a 55-01 (a strange thought, since I've played every other mass-produced Lakland model...), so I'm a bit curious to find out.

Another point, I've always thought that those 55-01 basses look like prime candidates for some Nordstrand Big Singles...Just another thought for you. ;)

BTW, Chime in here about what strings you like on your 55-02/94 series Lakland!

5. Wow, a Lakland with an Audere. That should really be interesting. I personally love Dave @ Audere's work. Coupled with Dan's quality, you should have something special.

I'm pretty much a Zon guy now, but what would really get me GAS'n is a DJ4 in black with a maple board, 2 Dark Stars, and an Audere 2-band. That... would be monstrous.

6. I though it would be... And it is!

DCP_2903.jpg

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm right there with you on the Lakland addiction. I've got my JO4 and DJ5, and I am seriously drooling over a Duck Dunn sig as well. The two Laklands I have now do exactly what I want them to do. The JO is great for my classic rock and blues band, it has the smooth warm Jazz vibe down. The DJ is grindy and aggressive. just what I need for my other harder rock band. However, I'm becoming more and more enthralled with the fat P-bass tone with all those lovely mids......

8. I'm set with fivers, but man! That is one sexy JO. The one thing that makes me think the DJ has the edge over the JO is the contoured heel and neck pocket. Its... perfect!

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I would like to hear clips of that bass. Although I thought they have really big necks, the two JO5s that I have played really sounded great passive. I can imagine a good preamp would really make them sound great.:bassist:

10. Believe it or not, the JO5 has the exact same neck as the 55-xx's.

I looked really hard at the JO5 before getting my 55-63.

11. Hah, that was the first thing I thought of when I finished reading Iota's post.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I recently got bit by the Lakland bug ! :help:

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sho' you're right! My hands have just gotten used to SR5s and USA Millenniums. I know that Sadowsky 24/5 I played at the Chicago GTG felt huge to me, even though I loved its sound!:smug:

14. So Dwayne, do you have a car collection?

15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    You will post soundclips right?I mean,you have to! But you are already thinking of it,if not,you wouldn't post the thread right? ;)

16. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Totally agree... I imagine Big Singles + an Audere pre would make the 55-01 even more compelling. And of course I'd like someone else to try this out and tell us all how it goes... :)

17. Yeah. One boring SUV. :D

I keep telling you cats about me and basses ... I buy em, I get rid of the ones I don't like, I keep the ones that I do. I really don't have as many basses as you think.

Trust me -- the quest is almost complete and the results WILL be posted here! ;)

18. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Lakland's are NICE, no need for a cure. Lakland was my #2 choice when I was bass shopping a few months back, and I almost bought a 55-02 before finding my Dingwall. The Dingwall had the exact tone I was looking for and they are the best basses I've ever played. Lakland's are no joke, though and I would not have minded at all if I had wound up with one.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    So far I've owned a 55-94 Deluxe and 55-02, 55-01 and 44-02 basses. Still have the 44-02 but don't use it. The rest are gone.

The 55-01 was the most aggressive and non-Lakland sounding bass in the bunch, probably due to the non-US Bartolini package. For me the -02 and the -94 were a toss-up... both sounded like excellent Laklands, one quite a bit less expensive than the other.

Good luck.

20. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I agree, and would like to take it one step further, if I may. I think it's such a great joy to finally find something that works perfectly for you after years of searching and trying so many basses. Don't ask for help, embrace it.;)