1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me in my amp search

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill keep it simple. What I am looking for:

Amp head
    Under $1000
    Between 200-500 watts at 8 ohms. 4 ohms doesnt matter
    Good for modern tone. Think Music Man.
    Not unwieldy power, must be tameable for quiet practice
    probably will run it through a 2x12, so keep that in mind.
    Must handle a low B well

Things i had in mind include GK 1001rb-II, and Eden WT405 or something like that.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    In the under $1000 new category, your two suggestions would be my first choices. Used, you have a whole world of choices. A bigger Eden, an Iamp 800 (would suit your tastes well I think), possibly even a Thunderfunk.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Aggie AG500???

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not familiar with the Eden tone, would it be what I am looking for? Good for slap?

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    GK 1001II into a GK neo212.

6. Quadzilla

Music123 is blowing the Aggie 500's out at $969 (yes the dual channel version w footswitch). That's about $200+ less than most other places...

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have to admit that I've heard mixed opinions on the AG500. I can't say I've tried one myself but I've heard both good things and I've heard really bad things.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh, check my profile ;) Gas section... yup. That is the setup I had in mind. This setup is very appealing to me because it doesnt cost as much as a lot of these other setups. I can get the head and cab for a bit above a grand.

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    At $600 (from rmcaudio.com) delivered to your door, the GK 1001RBII is nearly impossible to beat.
    I personally think it is very powerful, very flexible, clean, quick, and relatively lightweight (18lbs.). I liked the tone of it significantly more than my previous amp. So much so that I sold the "boutique" baby and I'm seriously looking at picking one of these up for my main amp.

Another amp to consider is MarkBass. I have no idea what they're going to cost but they're allegedly going to be available in May from Guitar Center. You can check them out at markbass.it.
    They're supposed to be very lightweight (6-8 lbs.), very reliable, and have a little warmer tone than GK.
    I'm going to give these a try before buying anything. I'm going to look at the SD800 and the SD802.

Good luck!

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a student that I went to see that had a GK700RBII and a NEO115. Oh man, I was really impressed with that setup. I of coarse prefer 12's and would love to hear the NEO212.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Over at the EBMM forum, the 1001rb-II/neo212 setup is very popular. Hence why it is winning in my mind right now.

12. Quadzilla

"Really bad things"? I've read almost every review of one here and elsewhere and never heard really bad things like you say. I've heard many say it's more of a rock amp than anything (I'd call that limited, not really bad). What really bad things have you heard (just curious)??

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just know a couple folks who've tried it and flat out hated it. That's of coarse just personal opinon though. One in particular used to sell them and stopped because he disliked it so much. He also, knowing what tone I go for, told me that I wouldn't like it so I stayed away from it. All personal opinions.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See my feeler in ads. PM sent.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And to bring some more creativity into this thread, help me with some rig ideas. Basicaly I want to look at all of my options. I need a modern tone, great for slap.

Id like to keep it relatively small. No speakers larger than 12 inch. No outrageously large amount of watts.

What would you guys suggest for under $1500? (for the head and cab together)

EDIT: Should be noted that this amp will essentially, eventaully, be just a super awesome quality practice amp once i go to college, so it needs to not be huge.

What head do you guys think woudl work well throguh a Berg HT112?

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any votes for Eden WT405 with a Berg HT112?

17. A good, modern tone rig for under $1500...
    How much is a Thunderfunk amp? That amp comes to mind when I think of awesome slap-modern tone. I would definately recommend Bergantino cabs if you can afford em. I have 2, a NV 610 and HT 210 and they are completely awesome. Eden heads are also great for a modern tone. The GK setup would be awesome too. I think my favorite setup for a modernish tone would be a Thunderfunk through a Bergie 210 or 2 112s.

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Just the name Thunderfunk makes me think of a killer slap amp. :D

I'd suggest getting whatever gear you get used and save some money or get better quality for the same money. Unless you get a good deal new or you're one of those people that really just like new things regardless.

Good luck.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When I know Ill have something for a long time, I tend to like to buy new. This would be an example of one of those times. Itll be my first time where i actually have a lot of options for amps and stuff.

Although i definitely wouldnt buy a used cab, i would consider a used head if it was in good condition.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard great things about the thunderfunk amp, although when i search for it on the web i can barely find any info on it?

EDIT: unfortuantely the thunderfunk is limited to 4 ohms. That doesnt work for me.