Help me install a car stereo!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Sep 5, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I just got a (rather cheap me thinks) Sony cd player for my car. I really need some help with how to take out my current stereo, and how to install the newer one.

I drive a 92 Ford Explorer BTW!

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I really need to know how to get my stereo out.... please someone help!

p.s. bump
  3. OK, couple of quick ideas: I'm not familiar with that model year ford stereo set up....all the ones I've ever worked with had a bizarre 4-pin security system associated with it. If that is the case, you'll see four holes on the face of the stereo, and you'll either need the buy the removal tool from ford (it used to be about $12), or get some thin pieces of steel rod to do the job. More likely though, it'll be a single DIN (physical size of the opening) deal that will come out easily with a couple of screws once you get the dash apart. The trick is figuring out how the dash blows's probably a combination of snap fittings and strangely located screws. As far as wiring is concerned either go to Radioshack, or a Best Buy (something along those lines) and get some pre-made connectors for your Exploder. It's literally a brainless operation: The new plug will pop right into the factory harness, and you'll only have to connect a few wires. If it's just a single DIN unit, then the deck should have came with a thin metal cage that fits around the stereo. Put the cage in the hole, bend a couple of tabs so it fits tight, and slide the new deck in ... you'll feel it click. Theoretically, the hardest part will be the dash, but it's pretty self-explanitory once you get into it.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i just did a stereo in my girlfriends 91 exploder. here's what you need to do:

first, take off the trim panel that goes over the face of most of the dash. it pops out all the way around except for TWO TORX head bolts by the ashtray. i think it was a T4 size but i'm not sure. you will probably have to disconnect the harness for your 4x4 switch, other than that it should just come out.

second, take a wire coat hanger, and cut it into two 4-5" pieces. bend it into a U, and jam them into the holes on the side. it should hold, and you should be able to pull it out from there. disconnect the harness and burn the deck on your driveway. sprinkle with chicken blood for extra good luck.

thirdly, go to checker/autozone/walmart/any place that sells car stereo stuff and pick up an adapter harness for your car. i think the explorer one comes with 3 and you only need two, but it's pretty obvious which ones you need because you'll only have 2 out of the 3 receptacles. splice the adapter harness to the harness for your stereo. use solder if you want to make sure it works all the time, or electrical tape if you just want it done fast. (i use electrical tape and it hasn't failed me, but it may someday.)

then, reinstall in reverse of dissassembly. it's not so hard once you get the dash thingy off.