Help me invent a persona

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Okay I need some help from the masses here. Im stumped. I am a bass player in a rock band called Allison Ditch and I have never really been "the normal guy." I'm currently 6'9" and about 310lbs. Ginormous by normal standards. (There is a picture at if you do not believe me.) I also have been a huge fan of Claypool, Bootsy Collins and other Flashy bass players of that nature, and I wanna do that. Granted I can't do the Bootsy clothes and stuff like that in a modern rock band, just wouldnt fit if ya know what I mean.

Soooooo your homework is to help me come up with ideas for my stage presence. Costumes, or anthing of the like would work. Please no body painting or mudvayne-ish or slipknot-ish type stuff. But I do have the nickname "The Chip." work with that, because that is going to be my pseudonym. Let me know what ya come up with.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A certain type of sunglasses that you don't see ver often. Maybe something industrial looking. And big shiny boots
  3. The Chip?

See: Dangerfield, Rodney- Caddyshack.
  4. The Chip has been a nickname of mine since I was in the 7th grade. Never seen Caddyshack if it is used on there It is coincidental
  5. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    A persona? I mean... a persona? <sigh>
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey - I want one too! Just something; I don't mean something crazy, but... distinctive, y'know? Like: always wears suspenders or a certain hat or a light jacket of a certain style...

One idea I came up with was to wear a light-weight like sport-jacket that has one sleeve taylored to the proper length, and the plucking-hand one hemmed up to just below the elbow. It'd be distinctive, practical, a little comical, and sort of a 'conversation-starter'. I usually roll up that sleeve anyway - I hate having a sleeve touch the bass strings while I'm playing.

What'd'ya think, BPF? Should we go with it?

7. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I know exactly what you mean. That's why I practice a lot. You know, so I can be that "Crazy Bass Player in that band that can play really good..."

That's a crazy gimick....
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Wear a suit that looks like it's made of bricks. Then just stand still all night.
  9. garp7

May 21, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    angel wings. Or anything that Gwen stefani is wearing these days.
  10. Johnathan P. Merlot: the wine-sipping, half-drunk, bass-playing pimp.

How about Dantastic or Kevincredible? If your name is Dan or Kevin, you just show up in a cape.

11. When I think of "Chip" I think of a rich kid at a country club. Then I think of the best golf movie- Caddyshack, and aside from the hot chick, the character that stands out the most- Rodney Dangerfield's character.

Dress loud, plaid and polyester.
  12. Isn't your playing enough?

Not for nothing, but if you need a "persona" to establish stage presence....

be yerself man. nothing is really that "out there" anymore...and anything even remotely pedestrian is already soooooo played out.

What, do you want something like Bono's "Mephisto" or something? That's schticky.
  13. Mayeb a dude wants to add a little extra to the show. What would you do if you went to see Primus and Les Claypool stood in one place and did NOTHING but play. Didnt so much as think of taking a step in any direction. We all love to hear him play, but we can do that listening to the cd. Live is where we all go to see the "Claypool strut" and other craziness that goes on at any of Claypools' bands shows. Im not trying to dress up to cover my sucking at bass guitar, and I hope I really dont suck. Im just looking for the extra seasoning that turns "The Man" into "The Myth." If you dont understand what I mean now, dont post.
  14. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea, but I really doubt that Les plans out his on stage antics. The dude is just slightly crazy. I'm sure he doesn't bother taking the time to sit around thinking "How can I make myself wild and crazy for tomorrow's show?" I have a feeling it's more like "Dude... that helmet looks awesome... I bet that would go great with that mask I bought earlier this week..."
  15. ***??

Claypool (AFAIK) doesn't need to invent a persona. He does what he does. He's not trying to create an image. He does what he does. There is not too much more you can do to create some sort of crazy stage show. Elaborate head chopping off drama? Done by Alice Cooper. Scary Ed Gein masks? Done by Slipknot. Breaking bottles, rolling in broken glass and having the audience draw all over you? Done by Darby Crash. If you want to dress like a creepy clown, that's cool. Nobody's ever done that before...

There's a schtick you live by. My thing was being "that guy who doesn't keep his shirt on" or "that guy who wears Dockers to rock shows." Funny thing is, people still recognized me when I went shopping or out to dinner or whatever. They weren't associating me with big doofy hat or a guy with blood dripping out of his mouth. My personality, my intensity- not a gimmick put on. If your personality needs a gimmick- fine. Some people don't. I prefer musicians that don't need a gimmick or schtick to put out.
  16. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Not sure about persona. I like to where clothes that are comfortable so that i can move easily. I try not have anything on that has any logo or print on it. Don't really have any accesories to speak of, though I do whear a leather bracelet that looks kinda tough I think.

I say go out and rock your ass off. I dunno throw on a bowlers cap and some aviator shades. If nothing else people wont recognize you.
  17. callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    thats exactly what i was thinking. I don't think anybody needs gimmicks though, just go up and be yourself, the spotlight will bring out the best and worst in you, and you'll have your own persona soon enough.
  18. Dude, here I go posting I MUST know what you mean...

Geez, somewhere between the constant gigging I do, and the recording and projects I'm asked to participate in, I must have forgotten what stage presence is...crap, that SUCKS.

And no, I don't just stand there on stage playing, thanx fer askin... You know what I do? I get into the music! GASP!
    I lose myself to it. I Gyrate embarrasingly at times. Do all sorts of wierd faces. Unknowingly. I close my eyes and just GO.... you know, being real and not caring about putting off airs. Being real is where it's at. It CERTAINLY isn't about really narcissistic facial hair scultpure (but I do that too, the ladies notice...a free tip for you)

And you know what? People notice my being real too!!! And I didn't even need a leather wrist band OR a live strong bracelet to do it. I saved me a dollar!

I gave up my Costello / Holly sunglass schtick ages ago...but that must be because I'm not in touch with what the young people "do"...hell, I'm old and grey at 33. Time to cash in. ;)

Oops, gotta learn two more songs for a recording session this Thursday. And practice for a show this Friday for my main band.
    Oh, and do some listenning to some tracks for a tribute show I'm involved in...real tame rock and roll stuff.

Thanks for playing! Bye. :)