Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me, I've outgrown my practice amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by osciphex, Sep 12, 2004.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Upon comparing my sound through nicer headphones to my sound through my practice amp, I've come to the conclusion that my 25w Peavey Microbass practice amp is no longer cutting it. I need a new combo amp that can fill a small hall/garage properly; perhaps in the 100w range or so. I know almost nothing about amplification at this point. I'm not looking to spend more than 4-6 hundred dollars. I enjoy the muted, midrange to high playing of jaco or rocco prestia, but I'd like an amp that could also supply some serious low end growl, something my peavey is sorely lacking in. Any suggestions?

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm starting to notice that Yorkville seems to be the answer to every question. Don't get me wrong though, the answer is Yorkville. XM200 or XM200T. It's tasty.

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I out grew my Peavey Microbass in just a few weeks. I moved up to an Ampeg B-100R and never looked back. The Ampeg is now my practice amp and is powerful enough for small gigs. I love its retro look and old school tone. I also have a B-15R/15E, a B-15-N, and a SVTIIIPro/Genz Benz 4x10. So my basses are pretty well covered, no pun intended!

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah that little Ampeg is a quality amp.