1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me Lakland DJ5 user

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jin Kim, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Hi, I have DJ5 ash/rosewood combo & I have question about body or bridge through.
    String is body through now & I know it sounds tight & punch but I feel I lose somewhat natural sounding.

If you have DJ or whatever Lakland bass & experience with both plz help me to decide. I know it is matter of personal taste but it's good to learn from experience.
    I am just afraid if I didn't like bridge through sound once I go for it.

thanks for your input guys.

2. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I have a 4-string DJ and have run the strings both ways.

I can't tell any difference in sound between positions.

3. Dan Lakin (or Kirk Hunter maybe) of Lakland once told he personally observed no difference, so it is probably the placebo effect.
    Some string company (GHS maybe, who make Lakland strings) wrote on their site that the difference lies in the angle at which the string presses the saddle against the pad. So it may be.
    I've strung my 2 55-94s both ways and really can't tell there's a lot of difference. There may be, but nothing like you really could point your finger at.
    Recently I string them according to the string winding really. Some strings may have tapers at either or both ends so it may be tricky to set the intonation. And if the taper is over the 1st fret, it may sound like $hit too because the nut slot is too wide. In this case I may sacrifice perfect intonation above the 12th fret (because this issue only happens with the thickest two strings) and string it top-load, so the taper is between the nut and the gear. Or, if the string is taper-wound at the ball end only (GHS have that), I may string it through the body, so that the 'stripped' span of the core wire ends before the bridge pickup. I actually may combine both ways because some strings won't let you go through-the-body on the A string (5 string 35" scale basses)

It is a cool option though. I like it. It makes you feel, well, imporant:D

4. Thanks for your comment guys.

I have DR Longneck string now with body through. I am thinking going to change DR Hibeam bridge through.
    Longneck is all tapered except G string so its vibration is little weired for me.
    Do you think it will be ok if I go with normal string with body through?

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sure, as long as you get strings with long enough windings. That can be a little tough with 35" scale a through-body stringing.

Mike

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    JIm:

I have a DJ5 (which is for sale as well) but I can see no difference....mine is strung through the body with Lakland steels now and it sounds awesome!!!