Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me learn about the Beatles!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by duo8675309, Nov 7, 2005.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Ok, I'm 15, and I never really listened to the Beatles that much. I actually thought they sucked for a while. But now that I'm more mature I know a lot better, and now I want to start listening to the Beatles. But I don't know where to start! I know "Let Me Hold Your Hand" and that's about it? What are some good songs? What are some good albums? I know it sounds stupid, but I really need :help: !

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Revolver , Rubber Soul , Sgt. Peppers, Let it be are some Awesome albums. :bassist:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You just can't pick out a few top songs and a few albums when you talk about the Beatles. Every song they did was great for different reasons. Having said that, their greatest hits anthologies are a great way to get an overview.

4. Try listening to the Abbey Road album, especially the side that starts with "Here Comes the Sun" and has a fantastic medley--Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window.

Also try the first side of the White album.

5. The Beatles have a wide range of material and it depends on what type of music you like (I like it all!!!!).
    • For happy teen pop songs, look to "Please, Please Me", "A Hard Days Night"
    • Then they started to expand into more thoughtful songwriting with "Help", "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" :)hyper: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!)
    • Forays into psychadelic/experimentation: "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" :bassist: , "The Beatles" (commonly called "The White Album" - how much whiter could it be?;))
    • Then, the masterpiece of recorded rock music by artists at the peak of their abilities is "Abbey Road".
    I've only included my favorites, there are many other fine albums and many people will
    disagree with me.

I really recommend reviewing their material chronologically (at least at first). Then you can really appreciate how they grew and changed with the times and subsequently influenced music.

Check out this site, it has a wealth of information:http://www.beatles-discography.com

...I’d love to turn you on...

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Listen to Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, the White Album, and Abbey Road, back to back to back, and your mind will be completely blown.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    don't forget Magical Mystery Tour, the trippiest album ever.

8. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Geez, so much to cover. My favorites to play are "I saw Her Standing There", "All My Loving" or "Come Together". "Slow Down" is a rocker. "Birthday" on the White Album will give you a little bit of a workout. If you listen to Rubber Soul, there's a number on it called "Think For Yourself" written by George, but Paul plays fuzz bass. The Beatles are pretty far ranging and fun to learn. One of Paul's favorite things to say was that he tried to find the most melodic way to get from one place to another. Listen to Maxwell's Silver Hammer, or Oh, Darling. not difficult, but a little challenging. Rent some of the movies.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Revolver is my favourite bar none.
    Revolver is about the time they began experimenting with the 'studio as a band member'...you get the backwards guitar stuff(Lennon's I'm Only Sleeping") & the LSD-laced "Tomorrow Never Knows". ;)
    Harrison's Indian/Shankar influence begins to manifest itself in his tunes.
    Next would be Abbey Road, then Pepper's...then Rubber Soul.

The White Album really doesn't do that much for me; I think it's because they were not really functioning together as a band of 4 at that time.
    "Dear Prudence", nevertheless, is a moody piece.

"I Am The Walrus" from Magical Mystery Tour is a "trippy"(thanks, nettor) sound collage.

Anyone know when Let It Be is to be reissued on DVD? Initially, I heard November 2005...last I heard it was delayed?

10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    As noted, the Beatles had a lot of variety in their material. The parameters of what came to be known as rock weren't really defined (not that I know if they are now) when they started recording. But if you listen to some of the covers they did early on, before they got into using the studio itself creatively, you can really begin to appreciate what a tight four-piece they basically were: "Please Mr. Postman", "You've Really Got A Hold On Me", "Twist And Shout", "Rock And Roll Music" and many more. John Lennon stands as one of the most gripping vocalists ever in popular music. Very few voices have been able to project like that. Which, of course, is why he became the target.

It's kind of spooky to realize their effective recording career spanned only a few years. In retrospect it seems unreal.

11. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good for you duo86... The Beatles are required listening for any aspiring musician of any genre, so you are on the right track. I just have to roll my eyes when people say they don't get The Beatles or that they were overrated. All the suggestions are spot on. Start with Revolver, Abbey Road and Sgt Peppers then take it from there.

The great things about The Beatles are the subtleties in the music: the wonderful 3 part vocal harmonis, McCartney's effortless bass lines, Harrison's guitar, Lennon's/McCartney's lead vocal phrasings, the brilliant harmonic structure and chord changes, the mysterious sounds and recording tricks which were cutting edge in the late 60s - it's all pure genius and the result is greater than the sum of the parts. At first listen, you realize it sounds pretty good, but dig deeper and you begin to understand why.

12. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The bassline in "Somewhere" is one of my all-time favorites. It gives me chills just listening to it sometimes. ;)

Have Fun!

13. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    What I really love about the Beatles is that they use some weird guitar chords. They don't stick with the standard pop and rock chords like tons of popular bands do today. To my ears, the real beauty in music is in minor and seventh chords mixed with majors.

14. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    If you're a young bass player you might want to get hold of Beatles at the BBC (?Beatles at the BEEB). This is tracks from a series of shows they did on the radio in their early days. It includes some bits of chat with DJs which you might find embarrassing, but there are plenty of their early cover tracks, recorded for the show: what you'll hear is the way Paul developed his bass playing early on. Compare this with the material on the LPs recommended in the other replies and you'll be cheered up: he plays quite simple rock lines you can aspire to yourself, though tight and strong and leading the band. Within a few years he was writing and playing those creative lines which took their music round the world.

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

This is a great post! I couldn't explain it better than that!

I would also recommend watching the movie A Hard Days Night. It just shows how much fun they were having at that time and the intensity of Beatlemania. About ten years ago, ABC TV did a documentary on the Beatles. I think it was a three part six hour program. I don't remember what it was called, but it was pretty comprehensive. It even goes into the Shea Stadium concert where John Lennon realizes that the audience was so busy screaming, that they weren't even listening to what they were doing. In between songs, he starts speaking nonsence and the croud cheers even louder. They never toured after that tour.

Also, if you listen to what popular music was before the Beatles and then during their run, pop music just changed greatly. The Sgt. Pepper album really defined Rock and Roll as something that was not just a fad, but an art form that could be respected.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sir Paul is a MUST for a learning bassist.

I saw him a few weeks ago in Michigan.
    All I can say is amazing...his vocals, timming, piano playing, composing...just go get every Beatles CD, you will own them the rest of your life or until technology replaces the CD.

17. the beatles are a great band, mostly because the sound they produce is so coherent, it fits, they can make a fast tempo sound slow and vice versa, they basically developed the modern song structure and all sorts of things.

They are as varied as 20 bands might be, but they still sound like the beatles, it's so tight, even when it's sloppy, their msic just fits. They weren't the definitive instrumental masters, Paul is no Jaco, John wasn't sinatra, george wasn't hendrix or satriani, and ringo wasn't er...name a good drummer, I am trying to think about one I like. But that didn't matter it all.

add to that a lot of fun, good writing, and excellent singing and the outcome is the most popular band ever

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout Ginger Baker? Back in my youth, I used to 'argue' how Cream were better...Clapton was 'better' thna George & Lennon, Bruce was 'better' than McCartney, & Baker was 'better' than Ringo; ergo-facto, Cream was 'better' than The Beatles.

;)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of the Beatles' DVDs behind me...the Ed Sullivan Shows or the Anthology DVD set-
    McCartney's playing on "I Saw Her Standing There" looks to be anything but 'effortless'.
    ...and for a good laff, check out what happens when he plays "One After 909" sans plectrum on the 1st Anthology cd set.

;)

20. I recognize the influence and like a few songs , but overall i'd rather listen to other stuff. I actually enjoy Lennon and Harrison's solo stuff more than their work as the beatles. Concert for Bangaladesh and All of Lennon's stuff are great.