Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me let it go.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    OK. Maybe you can help?

I am moving. I now live in 5 1/2 rooms that are filled with stuff. I'm moving into a studio. I need to sell, give away, throw out - basically rid myself of lots and lots of things.

I've gotten rid of the really useless stuff (had a flea market sale) but there's still lots of things I'm paralyzed about. Extra stereo equipment I somehow gathered, vinyl records that take up tons of space and are only worth something to me, amplifiers I've had since I was 10yrs old, memories, books I'm sure I'll read one day yet haven't in the 10 years I've had them, CDs, memories - all the stuff one could imagine.

The hardest seems to naturally be my basses. I have 2 Dano's but I adore them, they don't make them anymore, and I'd only be able to get $200 tops for one of them (I only play one, the others a spare). My first bass (an Alvarez) also, same deal. I have a P-deluxe that I never use anymore, guitars, bongos too. They all just take up space - they sit there.

Anyone have any experience here? Any words of encouragement.

PS. I'M NOT GIVING AWAY ANY OF MY BASSES!

2. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I had a similar experience when I moved out of my apartment and went up to Alaska for 6 months.

I just closed my eyes and sold off or threw away so much crap. My bass and amp and other stuff I left with friends and relatives to hold for me until I got back.

Six months of nothing but what I could carry on my back, sleeping in a tent, etc. It was such a liberating experience to be rid of all of that stuff.

I barely remember what stuff I lost.

Unfortunately I've acquired a ton of crap again.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My dad is a foreign service officer, so growing up I had to move every 3 years or so. My mom was really good about making us throw out all the junk we didn't need. I'm pretty anal retentive, so it's hard for me to get rid of things, no matter how useless they are to me. But if you have a bunch of stuff that you don't use ever, you're not gonna miss the stuff once you throw it out.

4. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Keep the basses - they can be stored easily in a closet. Well, maybe sell one Dano since you said you only play one.

The stereo equipment and vinyl can go to Goodwill or a similar charitable organization. You'll be rid of it and have the satisfaction that you've supported a good cause.

5. Burn it... :p

Oh booo

:D:D

Merls

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My 2p

Buy some of those guitar wallmount stand things and hang all the non used stuff on a wall. The Dano's will make good decor for a muso's flat.

Get all your 'junk' out on the floor and make two piles; keep and let go. Now go to the massive keeper pile and be brutal. If the pile is still large try to find a relative or friend that will let you store it. There are companies that will let you rent space but it could get expensive.

Good luck

7. I've got one word for you Joe....Storage!

I just had to move from an 11 room house with a 2 car garage, into 2 room s and a bathroom. I've got 99% of my stuff in Storage, including all but one bass. You can get a decent sized climate controlled storage unit for around $50.00 a month.

Lisa

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just went through the same "downsizing" frustrations, even including selling off some basses and sound equipment, plus unloading many CDs I hadn't played in years. My husband took thirty round trips to the Goodwill with the car full, plus we sold furniture on consignment and to friends and gave alot to the folks who bought our house.

We paid to move the rest here, but...lo and behold...still have too much stuff for our much smaller quarters!

I'll tell you why storage isn't an option for us. It adds up. My son stored a bunch of his gear at $50 a month in Flagstaff. He has stored that gear for nearly five years!!! Think what that has cost...nearly $3000! He could have bought all new stuff for that.

We decided just to bite the bullet and live in the space we can afford. But I know it hurts to get rid of sentimental stuff loaded with your memories. I kept asking, "What if we need this some day?"

The rule that helped me most in unloading our belongings was...if we haven't used it or worn it in a year, it is going out. Good bye. Funny thing is once you are rid of it, you begin to forget you ever had it...except for my basses. I hated to see them go especially for the pittance I received for them.