help me lighten my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Mar 28, 2002.

1. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Hi, I play in a couple bands that gig regularly and moving equipment is not really a problem exept for my Mesa-Boogie 2x15 deisel. That thing is sooo heavy and it has casters but to carry it up stairs, into vans, ect... is backbreaking and painfull. Even with two people it is difficult. The amp I have is a Trace Elliot v-type 600H and it puts out 600 watts into 4ohms. It only has one speaker out as well so i can only hook up one cab to it. Please help me to find a 4ohm cab can be carried easily, can handle 500-700watts and can spread out the bass to small to basket ball court sizes clubs. Oh... and is under $800. Thanks in advance.
  2. Why not just get a pair of 1x15s and use the parallel out on one of them to power the other?
  3. well one way to lighten your rig is to give me some of your equipment:D
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Wow-you want it all!
    (2) ideas:
    Euphonic Audio Cxl 210
    Flite Cabinets makes a 4x10 that will handle 600 watts...

Best I can do- EA will cost little more than your budget,
    Flite should be under...

Check 'em out-
  5. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i could definitely take the 2x15 off your hands... is that one of the older ones loads with ev's?
  6. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    The SVT410-HLF would do. Don't know how light your wanting to go. I think its about 90 lbs. About the same as the average 4x10.

7. The older I get the more pain hurts and the heavier stuff gets - so when I built the new rig I went for high power and light weight.

4 ohms (two 8 ohm cabs), handles 700 watts and no component weighs more than 70lb. The heaviest component is the 2x10" - Eden says it weighs 68lb but I don't believe it - it might weigh 68lb in its shipping carton but I haven't weighed it yet so I don't know for sure.

(note to self: weigh rig this weekend.)

The amp is a 1000 watt Peavey but running into 8 ohm cabinets I figure it's putting out around 300w a side. It's plenty loud for the stuff I do and the power amp weighs 12 pounds - the whole rack weighs less than 30.

It cost a little more than $800 for the cabinets but you can find them used in your price range.

The rack has wheels and I bought a small hand truck at Lowe's for $35 to haul the stuff around if I needed to - but I haven't needed it yet.

Oh, yeah - the gorilla's name is Bob. Best drummer I ever worked with.

8. How about two Aguilar GS112's?

I got tired as you of carrying the Hartke 410XL cab (about 90 lbs) and switched to two Aguilar cabs, about 45 lbs each. Then went with all rack mount amp and effects. Life is good, back doesn't hurt and these two cabinets are loud, clean, accurate and oh, yeah, light.
  9. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Thanks for everyones input. I don't think I'll part with the 2x15s ChenNuts44 but it is the older model. I just can't part with good gear no matter how little I use it. Thanks for the suggestions Allan, you have an awesome set-up. How do you think it would compete with a marshall half stack? Same question to bassdr and the aguilar cabs. Those Flite cabs seem amazingly light and that 4x10 is tempting. Anyone have any thoughts on two Acme B-2's or two Bag End s-15d's? Thanks alot everyone who posted. Any more thoughts and suggestions would be apreciated.

10. tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    i was gonna say,you might wanna look at the bag end oiled birch cabs since you want two 15s.

pricewise i'm thinking you could go with a bag end birch 15 and a single acme b1,but then you'd need a more powerfull head.

of course i've seen ampeg 15s easily in your price range;also probably carvin and peavey.
  11. fatrhino asked...

How do you think it would compete with a marshall half stack?

Funny you should mention that - I sat in with a friend's band during their rehearsal last night. Both g*itarists ran Marshall half stacks - I had no problem cutting through.

Their bass player runs an SR400 through a Hartke 5000 with 4x10" and 1x15" Hartke cabs. He did make a couple innocent jokes about Peavey power amps. He'd never heard of Eden before and had never seen a Lakland.

He is now a believer. Man, I love doing stuff like that :D