Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Like Emo! Fast!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, Nov 11, 2003.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    You know, there is that girl....

I am trying to get into emo. I bought Fevers and Mirrors by Bright Eyes.
    But it's really hard. They take themselves so incredibly seriously and really are very very whiny.

Are there any tricks to make it easier?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Think of her in the nude, that should do the trick :p

Honestly, you don't need to/will like everything about her and vice versa, so don't try too hard - it won't always work anyway.

3. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Jeez, I know.
    Just don't take the tone of my initial post to seriously and assume I know what I am doing.
    (Of course, I don't really, never....):D

I did not come here to ask for advice about girls, that would be a little ****ed up.
    I just need to get into emo, NOW!

:)BTW, I am used to being misunderstood by people who can see me. So it is just natural that you guys who can't see me do so, too.
    As a general rule: don't take me too seriously. I like to talk weird.:rolleyes: ;) :D

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    NO GIRL IS WORTH LISTENING TO EMO . <--- (LOOK PERIOD)

Why dont you get her into Funk/Jazz, IMO that would be better...

You could start the Covo like this. "Hey I just heard this Emo Band and they Suck B&LLs, Wanna listen to some Funk?"

***NOTE, That would be a BAD idea***

5. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    On a sidenote: I am pretty much currently having the same album of the moment (Geräusch). Great stuff.

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Write a song about how unfair life is because you have to deal with someone else's musical tastes. After that, you'll either be totally into emo, or you will be forever immune from the temptation to try to be into it.

:D ;)

7. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Actually, I am interested in it. I maybe also want to understand her a little better. But the main reason for me is that that emo thing sounds interesting enough to me right now to get a little into it. I have not been exposed to it before.

I probably started this thread to have an excuse to talk about it and get some advice on how to deal with its whinyness.
    I don't know yet what to think about the music, still exploring.

8. Sunny Day Real Estate. :ninja:

Fire Theft. :hyper:

9. Why bother changing your musical tastes? That is sooooo...smacks of desperation. When she grows out of emo, you're going to be stuck with a bunch of whiny, identical sounding albums.

Stick to your own music. Ask her questions about emo or borrow her albums but don't waste your money on something that's not YOU.

10. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany

Sorry, but I am getting the feeling you did not read my other posts. I thought I made it (somewhat) clear that I am not doing what you fear I may.

E.g. I am not trying to change my musical tastes. I am exploring out of couriosity. Also, this whole "I NEED to get into emo FAST" thing was not meant that seriously.:)
    I was kinda making fun of myself in a healthy way. So in a way your criticism was already implemented in my first post. Ah, and I keep wondering why people misunderstand me:D . Maybe I AM weird enough for emo....

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's great isn't it? Check out the lyrics if you have German, very well made and hilariously funny at times.

For anybody who thinks Germans have no sense of humour, check out Die Ärzte. www.bademeister.com

12. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Was that meant for me?:D :D :D

I love their sense of humor. I kinda fits mine. And some songs also express my own feelings very well, e.g.: Unrockbar, Die Nacht, Anti-Zombie....

...and of course those old Claudia songs.:D

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    D'oh, although I posted that for the community, I didn't notice your location. :oops:

14. karmapunk

karmapunk

Jul 15, 2003
    havana
    what kind of music do you like? Find something that you think is agreeable to her tastes, and pump that ****. If she pumps her ****, then listen without objection, just dont flip your ****.

Point is, you wanna impress her, show her a new style of music. You never know man... i love funk and reggae and not many girls at my school know much of that style. They listen to their emo, pussy punk, etc. while I play some george clinton and i get some wows. Start with upbeat music, maybe something you can dance to or something that you can feel the energy in, then work your way to the (for lack of a better word) "duller" stuff that they might not immediately be so interested.

15. dont like something just because a girl...

16. Man, if you don't like some music, don't even bother listening to it...

Unless you can pull something meaningful out of it...don't even give it any of your precious time.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    On an unrelated note....

I went to a Bright Eyes concert with a friend because she had an extra backstage pass. The show was actually really good and has helped me to apreciate the recordings. Plus Conner (the singer) is a really nice guy who showed me a trick for opening cd casses without having to fumble over that stupid tape they put on it. Their bassist was really nice too and she showed me her bass cleff tatoo that she got in Orlando.

Maybe if yougo to a show of theirs you might get into it.

Peace
    Nick

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Emo is the result of young guitarists going to their elders for advice and only buying "Overdrive" pedals and the most odd looking fender they can buy. Of course, they want to play rock and roll, but with their elders telling them this and that is good, it mixes things up.

Instead of rock and roll, you get (sometimes) very good guitarists with an overdrive tone that sounds like a violin played thru a ripped headphone speaker. Add in some whiny brat that didn't get a camaro for his 16th birthday and there you have it.

Personaly, I would like to tie emo up and lock it in my basement, and when it askes for death, kindly give it him.

19. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Here's some good emo:

Thursday - War All The Time
    Thrice - Pretty much any album
    Early Jimmy Eat World - namely, Static Prevails
    Braid - Frame and Canvas

That's good for starters, I guess.

20. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Forgot to mention Dredg... either Leitmotif or El Cielo. Not technically "emo", but they're probably one of the most underrated and underexposed bands out there right now. El Cielo is a masterpiece! Go out and buy El Cielo NOW!!!

Plus, you can get your chick into something BETTER than emo. heh