1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me like Rush, or "What's your favorite song of theirs?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Scott C., Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scott C.

Scott C.

Nov 24, 2014
    Washington, USA
    I've recently been trying to broaden my musical horizons, checking out bands. Of course being a bass player means it's practically sacrilegious to not like Rush, so that was one of the first bands I checked out. The problem is, my first impression was mixed, because while I appreciated the music generally, I'm not a huge fan of Geddy's voice yet. But I only tried a couple songs, and wanna give them a fair chance, even if they're sort of an acquired taste.

So that brings me to the actual question. What's your favorite Rush song/album? How would you recommend a newbie attack their large repertoire?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You don't have to like them. I also tried for the same reasons. Not a fan. Giddy Lee is an amazing bass player but I don't wanna hear his band.

karl_em_all, Herrick, Ekulati and 6 others like this.
  3. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    :roflmao:

Mind if I quote that in my signature?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    I like their first album with Rutsey on drums. Songs like Here and Now, Before and After, and Working Man.

They rocked on the first album. After that, the albums sounded like it took 523 takes per song. Very sterile sounding and overly produced/tweaked. Some decent songs though.

Freewill is probably my favorite song from them.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    My €0.02:
    favourite song is probably "Xanadu" from A Farewell to Kings (5th studio album, 1977);
    first album I listened to was Permanent Waves (7th studio record, 1980) and I don't regret it was - if you want one studio album recommendation, with reminiscences of their older feats and hints of what was to come, that one would be it for me; the following disc, Moving Pictures (1981) was a huge hit for them and would also work (no longer epics/suites though, so I'd still get the pair for educational purposes);
    if you favour anthologies over complete album efforts, you could do worse than starting with their second live record, Exit...Stage Left (right after Pictures, 1982 - can you tell I'm fond of this phase of theirs?);
    also procure their first classic, 2112 (4rd studio album, 1976) as early in your exploration as you can;
    the first 25 years of their recording career are pretty evenly segmented - four phases, each made of four studio albums and ending with a double live containing mostly material from the closing phase plus a couple numbers from the previous one (the 4th phase expands on the pattern by having longer studio efforts on CD format and a triple live, Different Stages from 1998, which has stuff from all periods up to then), so it's relatively easy to navigate through the discography until that point. As admitted above, I prefer their second stage* but also love the first one, the first eponymous record from 1974 with Rutsey on skins and their third, Caress of Steel (1975, often overlooked by fans) both included. I'm familiar with some of their later output but not in love with it. Yet.

*EDIT - the 6th studio record, Hemispheres (1978) was conspicuously absent from my writeup: I do like it (The Trees is one of my top 10 Rush tracks, provided I stop listening to the lyrics, which I'm able to thanks to the fact I'm not a native speaker...), but I'm not crazy for it. It is one of the highlights in their career nevertheless, often mentioned in the same breath as 2112 and Moving Pictures.
    In practice, of their early recordings I've only left out the 2nd record, Fly by Night (1975) and the first live, All the World's a Stage (1976): yeah, I like those too... :p

MJS7101 and csala like this.
  6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I didn't care for Rush when I first heard them either. I just knew my guitar player loved them and Led Zeppelin more than anything.

Eventually I listened one day and something clicked mentally. I finally "got" Rush and was blown away by what I had been hearing but not really listening to. Been a fan ever since.

I think most of their mid 80's through mid 90's stuff is easiest to get hooked on. The more modern stuff tends to be a bit complex to follow IMO.

Also, if it's Geddy's voice that's throwing ya, try listening to some of their instrumentals: Malignant Narcissism, YYZ, Where's My Thing, Leave that thing Alone... etc...

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Listen to their first 5 albums, and forget all the rest.

james condino, MJS7101, PWV and 10 others like this.
  8. Agree 100%. I've had people trying to cram Rush down my throat since I was in high school, and I just can't get into it...at all. Geddy is an incredible talent no question. Another band that falls into this category for me...Dream Theater.

9. Don't worry about it.

Listen to Relayer by YES. Geddy loves it and would approve.

k31bassman and MonetBass like this.
  10. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I get it. I think they are hard to like, but I'm not a big prog fan and tend to like rock with a little more balls. I can listen to a song or two but then get bored.
    Counter parts is about the only album of theirs I can listen to. The songs Stick it Out and Animate are pretty good.

Justinian likes this.
  11. Since it is Geddy's voice that you don't care for I would recommend starting with the last album, Clockwork Angels. His voice has mellowed over the years and now lacks the high shrill tone that turns a lot of people off. It is probably my favorite Rush album since Signals.

PsyDocHill, phall2112 and smtp4me like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    For me, it would probably be a shorter list if you asked which ones I don't like...

13. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    A few signature tunes; Xanadu, Free Will, La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart, Spirit of Radio...you know what; just go get "Exit...Stage Left" and give it a good listen. If you don't like Rush after that, you never will. And that's ok! :thumbsup:

14. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    When I was in my early teens (15 - probably 18ish) I couldn't stand Rush to the point where I'd actually bash them when people brought them up. I just didn't get it.

Somewhere along the line, something changed. I started to listen to them more and more, and by my early 20's they were unequivocally my favorite band. Not just the absolutely disgusting musicianship, but also the way they seemed to conduct their business and the values they held. To me, they're a great band to look up to in all aspects of being a band.

I'd start easy, jumping head first into Hemispheres will probably just put you off of them even further. Moving Pictures is fantastic, Permanent Waves is also a great jumping off point. Earlier they were heavier, and then slowly moved away from that into different territory.

My personal favorite is Hemispheres Book II.

Also, their live discography is amazing.

15. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Rush is the worst. If you dont like em, you dont like em. Trust your ears, trust your gut. If some day you hear a Rush song and it clicks then hallelujah, praise be to ponderous prog rock. But dont force it.

Lesgo and RyanJD like this.
  16. la villa strangiato

xanadu

Klondike, MJS7101 and Matthew_84 like this.
  17. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I was a late comer to Rush as well. Even today, similar to Led Zeppelin, I can only listen to them for short periods of time as the voice does start to grate on me. But they literally have a ton of really good songs. ;)

The one that grabbed me was the first time I heard "Closer to the Heart" off of their live album A Show of Hands. I loved the dynamics of it and, of course, Geddy's playing. It was my gateway drug. Also, watching a couple of their documentaries made me appreciate their music much, much more. Great people. Amazing artists. And humble. I love that.

zontar and PsyDocHill like this.
  18. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013

dave64o, japhy4529, BigDanT and 2 others like this.
  19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I didn't get into Rush until Grace Under Pressure came out. Since it was my introduction to the band it is and will always be my favorite. Despite my bias, I also think it's an incredibly underrated album in their discography. I know you asked for songs, but I'd start with that record.

Drzejzi, HolmeBass and MonetBass like this.
  20. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Red Barchetta. Limelight.

If those don't work for you, I can't see a lot of point in beating your head against the wall.

Bozendoka, Signs, MJS7101 and 6 others like this.