1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me locate all the tubes in my SVT CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snaverb, Mar 6, 2008.

1. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Per Ampeg website, my SVT Classic has 11 total tubes in it.
    Well, I see the six 6550's in the back - hard to miss those.
    I also see the 3 smaller tubes in back back, so thats 9 tubes I see, where's the other 2 ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I haven't been inside of one in a little while. However, you may find that certain tubes have a chrome, tube-like cover on them. Other than that, you should be able to find them if the back grill is off. If not, remove the front grill--besides, this would be a good time to clean that fan dust off of the front grill. :)

Last resort...take the chassis out of the head box. You can't go wrong there.

3. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    There are two 12AX7's right behind the inputs on the front. You'll have to take off the front grill and if I remember correctly few screws and carefully pull out the control plate. You'll see them on the left hand side.

4. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks very much for your help.

It looks like the 2 tubes I cant see are the 2 12ax7's behind the front grill.
    Now I just have to figure out how to get the front grill off.
    I guess the screws that hold the metal plate that says '' Ampeg '' are the screws that hold the grill on.
    I'll soon find out. Thanks again TB

5. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Based solely on the headline i would say, "it's the ones looking like tiny lightbulps"!

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    if i remember correctly, you have to take off the front grill and the two top screws on the front of the head and it should come right out.

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yup...but it is the four top screws. Two of the 12AX7's are completely inside the preamp chassis.

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    you have to take the top four screws off to remove the chassis.

to remove the front grill, you need carefully shove something through the back of the amp and pop it off - it is held on by the same type of plastic fasteners (headlock??) that hold on their cabinet grills.

JR