1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me love my Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGH, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I have a beautiful 5 string EBMM H/S stingray hanging on the wall collecting dust. I purchased it as a general purpose instrument for rock, country, R&B, blues and whatever else came along. I currently play in a 90-ish rock band with two jangly strats and a great female lead singer, as well as an Americana band that's as much country and bluegrass as anything. I don't use the stingray for any of it in part because I struggle to get sounds that work well in a band mix. I've defaulted to split coil passive basses which always work (but sure don't sound as wickedly cool playing alone in my basement!)

Does anyone else regularly use this instrument in bands for music that's not funk and not metal? Do you use it for a bunch of stuff or just certain things? What kind of settings? Strings? Amps?

Badwater, Patton Caday and Roccafella like this.
  2. I mainly use a pbass or G&L SB-1. I bought a Stingray around November and for me it's a great player. I play classic rock and blues.

armyadarkness and BassGH like this.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have had 3 Stingrays all With just the MM style pickup . One thing I can tell you is I got along much better with the 2 Band EQ than the 3 Band . For some reason the 3 Band had way more mids and I could not tame them without killing a lot of the highs too. But the two 2 band Ray's I had worked well for many styles of music. Just MHO

4. BassplayinBob

BassplayinBob

Jan 8, 2016
    You could always sell it, that tends to make people love and miss things.

5. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Why force yourself to love it? Sell it and get something you like more.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I would sell it and get a Fender P5

7. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    Boost the lows and cut the highs or God forbid put some flats on it.

Badwater, Briton, Dasgre0g and 6 others like this.
  8. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Done! That's what I have on it now. Now I'm going to try going back or round wound. Will experiment with your eq recommend

9. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I'm thinking down those lines

10. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    I can't stand flats, love slinkys and cut the highs all the way if i have to for that style of music. I play with my fingers and if I really want to get it, palm mute and thumb.

bhoff5150, Chrome Dome and BassGH like this.
  11. If you want a StingRay killer get a Ibanez SRX. (SR eXtreme)

I was just having this conversation yesterday with the local luthier.
    He's got a StingRay he uses for recording, but I intend to show him my SRX next week.

12. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    In the rock band I'm now playing an SB2, which never gets washed out by competing eq. That's a point-and-shoot instrument for me compared to the MM. But sadly, no b string.

13. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I play a stingray and a sterling in a ska/punk band. EBMM super slinky's. Treble around 7 mids also around 7 bass just a touch past 5 (1-10 not o'clock) sounds fantastic in the mix. Been on a bit of a Pbass kick the last few weeks. I run the amp flat btw

14. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I could never fully gel with my old single H Stingray due to the neck being too “flat” overall (super low radius + thin front-to-back.)
    Also, being a pick player primarily, the humbucker was right where I’d grown accustomed to picking over the years on my Precision. Lose / Lose for me.
    I really dug the sound of the preamp, though I wish I’d picked up a 2 band instead of a 3. Trying a SLO neck has been on my list of things to try.
    This has probably been not very helpful but know that you’re not alone in feeling the way you do about your ‘Ray!

IPA and BassGH like this.
  15. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    +1 I have a 90's 3 band that I bought new...had it for years...its normally too aggressive, but does sound good with flats. It doesnt see much daylight.

BassGH likes this.
  16. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Tried it all on a 78 including Flats and three pickup replacements...

Nothing got it to work for me.

Like others said, why force it

17. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I really like the sound of the Stingray fretless on this live version of Sanctified by NIN.

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have 2 3 band stingrays and 2 ric 4003's the rays see all the playtime. I love the snarly sound of the stingray. In a punk band where its very bass driven the ray is the way to go! My eq is trebal 6.5 mids 6 bass just barely past the detent.

BassGH likes this.
  19. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    If you want to fall in love with your stingray may I suggest roses and a bottle of wine! Then maybe a movie on the life of Barry White, oh don’t forget chocolate!

Maybe you can massage her neck with linseed oil and whisper sweet nothings into her pickups ❤️

Also tell her that P bass meant nothing to you!

20. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Man, I waited for a PDN Neptune Blue Stingray with a roasted maple neck. Got it and just couldn't bond with it.

joebar, BassGH and Killed_by_Death like this.