1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me love my Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGH, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    You either like it or you don't. Nothing else to it.

2. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I do rock, blues and some rootsy stuff with a 4H (old dead nickel rounds) through a Broughton HPF into a Little Mark II:

. On the 'Ray - Bass full, Mid full, Treble somewhere between the notch and minimum depending on song, setting, room

. If it's boomy I wind the HPF on, if it's gutless I wind it off

. If it's zingy I wind the Markbass VLE on, if it's fine I leave it off

. I ride the 'Ray Treble control throughout the gig acc to the song and the instrumentation around me at the time, but unless I'm soloing (heaven forbid), it's never higher than the notch.

Mike

3. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I have 3 SBMM Rays and I get the most compliments with my big band when I use them. Not sure why.

Radguitars likes this.
  4. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Some tones don’t click with some bass players.

5. the baint

the baint

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    EQ wise this is basically how I roll. Had dead nickels for about 6 years and am now experimenting with LaBella Low Tension Flats.

I tune BEAD and play finger style with a healthy amount of palm muting and thumb.

BassGH likes this.
  6. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Odd. Stingrays were all over the 90s

7. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    My EBMM SR5 is my main player. It’s a 3 band with ceramic pickup, DR hi beams, SansAmp. I play in a church setting, so direct IEMs type of thing. I could see how a P bass is more naturally suited for Americana. I would keep the StingRay for that sound in case you need it some time. The low mid punch and B string are second to none on most Rays. You can’t get a bad sound out of a Ray, but you might not find the sound you quite want, if that makes any sense. I don’t use it for funk or metal, other than a very little bit of pseudo gospel slap.

BBassBassington and Mastermold like this.
  8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I just sold my beloved 93 Ray. It was THE classic Ray tone I'd had in my head for 25 years. I just couldn't make it work in a full band setting. I play covers, I need a bass that can do several tones. The Ray sounded amazing on some tunes but kind of out of place on others (Stingray snarl on Ramble On or any Beatles song??? ). I sold it in favor of a HH Stingray. I can get 90% of that same Ray bite and snarl, but can do a ton of other tones.

9. I use nickel rounds or cobalt flats with tone rolled off about a third and a little bump in the bass side. I drive the gain a little more to get a good grind and i am set.

dbbltime likes this.
  10. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    There, you said it, play it alone in your basement ;)

I didn’t bond with my Musicman either, so I’m not much help in that regard. If I had it again, though, I’d try series wiring, and all single coil options, particularly the neck coil of the humbucker.

BassGH likes this.
  11. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    When I hear other players using a stingray I love the tone and think I should try another. But anytime I've tried one in a band setting it doesn't do it for me. I can always get a P bass to work in the mix, so that's what I've been playing live for several years now. If you can get the sound you want out of a stingray then keep it, it's always nice to hear one in the mix that fits well.

retslock and BassGH like this.
  12. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I'm trying to stay out do the buy-and-ell approach but I'll check one of those out if I have the chance.

13. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Hard to just give up and sell a nice bass

BK bassist likes this.
  14. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I had to have a Stingray 2 band. Didn't bond with it, so I traded it for a 4003. Sold the 4003. Bought another 4003. Sold the 4003. Bought the same Stingray 2 band from the same guy I sold it to & now it's my current favorite bass.

You never know how or when equipment will suite a special need or fill that space.

15. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    You could sell it and get a Carvin/Kiesel PB5. It sounds like a Fender P, but with more bite IMO.

BassGH likes this.
  16. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Very helpful! I also run through a MK II based rig. I played a bit with your settings and they seem promising. I'll try this in a rehearsal this weekend.

bigswifty1 likes this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I still dont love mine after 8 years

bordinco90 likes this.
  18. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Get some DR HiBeams and let the stank loose

BK bassist likes this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Try favoring the neck pickup, then set the bass and treble flat and boost mids also try lighter strings

BassGH likes this.
  20. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I can second this. I have an SRX400 that I can dial in a really convincing Ray tone from. I swapped out the stock preamp, FWIW.