1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me love my Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGH, Jun 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM.

1. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I kind of had the opposite experience with my Stingray. I wasnt sure about the tone UNTIL I played it with my band. I have a 3 band Ray and it works really well in a mix for me. I still use my other basses like my Ric for the single coil vibe. Might I suggest a G&L instead? Ive had an L2000 and a L2500 and they can get an aggressive bite but not as zingy IMO as a Ray and can cover a ton of ground.

corndog, Kro and BassGH like this.
  2. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    If I decide I must have 5 strings and can't get the MM to work, that might just be the thing. I take it you have one and are happy? The only active 5 p/j's I've located that appeal are the carvin and a Mike Lull, and the lull is crazy expensive.

3. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Or an Ibanez ATK for the OG stingray killer

FugaziBomb likes this.
  4. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I've had 2 PB5's and liked both, I'm not a five string player and could not justify letting the PB5's just sit there. I sold both of them to a good home. Both of mine were passive. They sound like an active bass without being active. I currently have a PB4 on order! The necks on the PB5 are to die for. Very Comfortable.

BassGH likes this.
  5. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    What amp are you using?

Mastermold likes this.
  6. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I have a G&L sb2 which I really like. If they made those with 5 strings I'd be done!

jgroh likes this.
  7. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    I still have that ACL on my DVR.

ruju likes this.
  8. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Markbass 12" combo with a 12" extra cab.

9. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    That rig should play well with the Stingray.

10. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    To me, mine never sound like "those other guys"

Jazz bass? Yep. P bass, yep. MM, that's gonna be a no. Beautiful bases but I never get them to sound right.

@two are better than three knobs: Well, maybe you are right. But with my sub (yeah I know, it's a pos) it's the LACK of mids that kills me. I love the neck, that's why I bought it, but it sounds muddy and funky on recordings (even though I spent a fortune on the Nordstands)

BassGH likes this.
  11. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Yea I figured the H/S setup would get a variety sounds and it really does. I think I just need to work on the eq some more. Lots of good advice here down those lines.

corndog likes this.
  12. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I think it's a mids problem I'm having. That seems to be a theme here.

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    You have to play what speaks to your soul and muse. If the Stingray is not it, move on.
    Put the bass in the classified and play the bass that makes you happy.

I had two Stingrays a Ball Family Reserve HH and a classic with a beautiful flamed maple neck; neither one appealed to me. Nothing wrong with the basses, we did not get along. In the hands of people who love them they are magical (think Bernard Edwards).

retslock likes this.
  14. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I prefer the older 2 band to the three myself...

PeterH likes this.
  15. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    How much free time do you have? Why waste it on a bass you don't like?

16. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I love my 2006 Ceramic SR5 - and like some others have mentioned I'd actually say that it absolutely shines in a band mix, though to be honest it took me a bit to warm up to it. I was coming from a hot double-pickup bass with lots of deep lows and zing on top when I first transitioned over.

Let's see... I picked up that bass used in 2008, and I think every year since then I've learned to appreciate it more and more. I've pretty much used nothing but it since, aside from a few recordings where engineers were able to "persuade" me to use Ps.

FWIW I play in a couple original bands with it, one that is a bit harder rock, and one that has a bit of a folk influence (we have a dedicated acoustic player). Sounds amazing in the mix. I always run mine in parallel, and typically with onboard EQ nooned.

Oh, since march I've been using Chromes on it and absolutely loving it, this is even as a primarily (80/20) pick player.

I do lean pretty heavily on my VTDI as far as tone shaping is concerned though - that signal goes straight to the board for live work, and then into my GK amp and then my Fearless cab for monitoring or smaller venues.

BassGH likes this.
  17. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    $1,200 purchase price. It looks cool. It sounds cool (except with a band). Its my only 5 string. It's very playable. Finding and buying new stuff is also time consuming.

18. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Hmm... New band, perhaps?

19. Sell it and buy a Fender American Elite Jazz Bass ocean turquoise ... you will be able to place it in the mix, that's for sure ... ehm ...

BassGH likes this.
  20. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I've played many gigs through this rig with my 4H, and nearly all my home practice is with a MB 12" Combo. You should be able to get a 'Ray to totally rip through that rig. Make sure the VPF is fully off, and don't be afraid to really have at the VLE control. If you're running extremely bright or new strings, perhaps you might need the "Hi" control on the tone stack although I generally leave it flat.
    Mike

BassGH likes this.