help me make a bass guitar here? =]

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by \m/cliffB\m/, Aug 7, 2009.

1. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    So this year I am taking a wood works class in my high school I am hell bent on making a bass guitar fully functional and sounding like a good high quality bass

I am friends with a kid in my school who has made two guitars one of them looks like a Jackson V but it is EXTREAMLY heavy but add a lot of bass on it almost like the Gibson artists (some of you may know how they feel) he has made one that fully working and plays like a Gibson.

beside that the school supplies the wood so that is covered, I can get the pickup‘s around but know I need to really know the following how should I go by this give me ideas of woods to use for the body because I may just make the body and maybe a neck because making a neck that wont warp is hard or so I’ve heard

so how do I get it wired and what specs should I follow when making one I’m looking to make a 4-sting fender j-bass replica haha (I don’t care about copy right infringement to be honest ).

Like will making a j-bass be cheaper then buying a j-bass MIA or MIM.the parts that I will need to buy is everything but the wood basically (or find them around from people)
    so help me here TB’S on making me a good bass for s**t’s and giggles, a good grade in class and a bass I can play once in a while for a gig or jam

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
  3. If you want to buy everything separately, it will likely cost about the same as an MIM, I can tell you that Saga has a P-bass style kit, and you could just use everything but the body and neck, that would likely save you money, and you could replace the bad parts as you go, but they only have P-style kits.

4. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    well im just makeing the body really i want to make the neck but im scared about the rod in the neck

5. I was too before I started, but I found out there really isn't much magic about a truss rod.. go for it! And read Martin Koch's book, it's great ;).

6. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    well i tougth it over today im turn my j-bass to a pj-bass ima take out the neck pick up and leave only the pick up on the bridge and then on the neck ima mod it to put a p-bass pick up is that hard?

7. it shouldn't be too hard if you have a router, and you can make some basic templates for said router.

8. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    single coil p bass pick up?

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yep, templates are the fun part ;)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021