1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Me Make A Choice Here !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moe.moe, Jan 10, 2012.

1. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    Thinking of selling my 2011 Fender American Special Jazz bass locally..... (that's the middle of the road American made jazz basses ) to buy myself a Warwick Corvette Basic 4 string with dual single coils much like the jazz. I'm kinda torn, I love the feel of my Spectors, but wanted to get a maple fret board, hence the Fender......
    But the Warwick is very appealing to me.

So Please folks..... Any and all replies would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

peace. : )

2. I used to have a fretless 4 string corvette. It was neat at first, but eventually I realized that it was just too heavy to play comfortably for very long (at least for me). My personal preference would be the JB, though haven't played a Special, just the Deluxe and Standard.

3. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Not sure whether you've tried the Warwick or if it's the idea of that bass that's so appealing for you. If you haven't had an extended session with a Corvette, I'd caution you against buying one until you've had it on a strap for at least ten or fifteen minutes of noodling around.

I had one and it taught me the value of good balance in an instrument's construction. My Corvette was made with really nice woods (bubinga & wenge), but that upper horn's abbreviated length makes for significant neck dive. It was a super-slick player when I was sitting down, but I couldn't live with its poor balance or even its tone.

Even with Bartolini pickups and a bass/treble preamp swapped into that bass, I couldn't get a good "cutting" sound with it like I could with my passive Jazz. That J-bass even had DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups on board, which have a relatively mid-scooped personality to their sound. Despite all the craftsmanship that goes into some Warwick basses, they're not necessarily easy players.

4. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks guys... ! I really appreciate it.... funny thing though,
    I was "kinda" wondering a bit about that "upper horn" and how it might effect the playing as far as neck dive..

I'm SO glad that it was mentioned....

Like I said, I REALLY appreciate the input.. looks like I just might be keeping the JB after all.... :D

FYI The Fender American Specials' neck is very fast and slim.
    It plays very nicely : )

G.A.S.... is a terrible thing to have !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again !

peace ~

5. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I sold my Corvette Std due to it's neck profile. Chunky and thick to say the least. Definitely not Jazz like whatsoever. Mine was a 2006 German model. I don't know if the neck profiles have changed recently, but it sure was a beautiful instrument!