1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help me make a crutial decision (SX content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 21, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I currently own this Brice HXB 406 Fretless, Natural Spalt.

DSC_3237.

DSC_3217.

It's a remarkable bass. After I installed a Bartolni preamp, it absolutely kills.

But something is drawing me to a 5 string Fretless Jazz style bass. Ever since I picked up a Squire Deluxe Active V, it's totally encompassing me. I love it. I'm constantly fighting with myself whether or not I should sell the Brice and get the SX fretless jazz 4+1

Now, about the SX's, they're all passive. I'm not really a "passive" player. I never use the passive switches on my G&L or the Brice. I like to have control each frequency, and not necessarily having one tone knob.

Can anyone vouche for how these sound? anyone have sound clips?

Sorry if you think this is spam...it isn't. I tried searching and the search system is annoying, because if you type in "SX" it says there aren't enough words or something. It doesn't see anything less than 3 characters long and goes stupid.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you search for "essex" you'll get tons of threads on SX basses.

I have had many SX basses and currently have an SJB-75 LTD four string. It's a killer bass, even though it's passive.

The SX basses sound pretty good stock. If you want to get as close to a Fender Jazz sound as possible, put in a set of Fender Noiseless pickups. You won't be able to tell the difference.

By the way, you can put a pre-amp in the SX if you prefer. Some people on here have done this and report excellent results.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA

Attached Files:

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    headstock

Attached Files:

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    My friend bought an sx and honestly, it has more punch then my 1800 dollar jazz. im disgusted.

6. Ouch! That's a bold claim.

7. That headstock looks like a vulture head.:smug:

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I put an Audere in one of my 4 string SX SJBs, very, very nice! :hyper: However it sounds like you might want something that is more "colorful". The Audere JZ3 gives you 3 bands of EQ, but it is pretty transparent when the EQ is set neutral. If that is fine with you, I encourage you to consider it! You may have to trim some of the bottom of the control cavity to get the battery to fit in (I did) but with the 3 EQ bands and the "Q" switch, it gives you all the control you need, IMO.

And, yes, even though the stock pups are ceramic, they are punchy and sound better than the price of the bass would lead you to expect.

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just wondering, what is it that you want or are expecting to get out of a five string that you feel you can't get out of the six you have now?

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Not as bold, but just as true, both my SX Jazz basses have more punch than my Squier VM Jazz......

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Its true man. if i did a blind test with you guys of the 2 audios, you would be amazed.

12. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crucial, not "crutial".

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    man, what would I do without you???