Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me make a decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Sep 25, 2004.

1. I came across a fairly good deal I can get for a new Washburn Taurus T25 here in Australia ($670AU which is about $478US), and I was thinking if it would be worth buying this bass and upgrading the pickups and adding a preamp.

I'm not sure which pickups/preamp yet, but do you think that this is something worth doing?
    Or would I simply be better off I didn't worry about this and just bought a Lakland Skyline 55-01?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it were me, I would buy the Lakland 55-01. My wife has one, and it is a killer 5 string for the price. Nice wide string spacing, great feeling neck, and great sounding pickups and preamp.

She is wanting to sell it, and I am trying to figure out a way to buy it from her.

3. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    If I were you, I'd just save up a little more cash and buy a 55-02 (which is exactly what I did). ;)

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    The Washburn looks like a fine bass even without a pup upgrade.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

from a taurus to a 55-02? am i the only one who realized the $500 gap??

6. embellisher

No. Good call.

Besides, I know I am in the minority, but I prefer the stock 55-01 electronics to the stock 55-02 electronics. Now a 55-02 with the optional Duncans pre/pickups would rock, but that is another $150.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

duncans? i tought that bartolini was one of the best pick up brands, but i dont really like their pres.

BTW does anyone here knows if skylines 55-0x come with gotoh gb7 or The fender stile machine heads?

8. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Sure, but its worth saving-up a few months to get the higher quality electronics IMHO.

9. She's your wife!!! you're the man of the house TAKE IT!! :D

10. embellisher

When you get into aftermarket pickups, it is really more taste than anything else. EMG, Bartolini and Seymour Duncan all make excellent pickups, they are just different. And there are aftermarkets pickups that cost a lot more than any Bartolini. Does that make them better? No, just different.

The only 2 basses with Bartolinis that I have ever liked the sound of are my Zon Sonus Custom fretless, and my wife's Lakland 55-01. The Lakland has the Korean Barts, but IMHO they have a lot more bark and bite than most USA Barts I have heard. Except the ones in my Zon. I had a beautiful Pedulla Rapture J2 that I sold because the Bartolini J pickups didn't have enough growl. They were too 'polite' sounding to me.

The early Skylines had the Gotoh tuners. The newer ones have the Hipshot licensed cloverleafs, that look similar to what Fender uses.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've tried a few Wasburns and were never impressed. On the other hand, I have owned a 55-01 and thought it was an excellent value. Yes, there are better basses out there, the for $500 used, the 55-01 is an excellent deal.

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Dude, the Skyline's probably a little less than $3000 Aussie, but I'm just guessing.

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    O ok, thx

14. If I imported one from the US, it would cost $1300-ish AUS.

I did come across the Ibanez BTB 305 and 405 basses yesterday which I'm considering as well.
    I could pay a little more for the 405 with 3 band EQ, but the 305 and its 2 band EQ really impressed me.

15. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Confusion here I think. What I meant was that if you are going to save up for a 55-01, you might as well save a little more for a 55-02. That's all.