1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Me Make A Sensible Offer On This Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigdoghat, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bigdoghat

bigdoghat

Jun 19, 2008
    Hi Everyone, I've spotted a used 1990's Musicman Stingray left handed fretless bass at my local music store. They're asking $1400 for it and after a bit of asking around I've discovered that it's overpriced but not sure what to offer as a reasonable counter offer

I found one the same color/same era that went for $1049 a while ago online. The bass I'm interested in is the same as this one on the link below, but lefty

Ernie Ball/Musicman Fretless Stingray 1990s Sunburst | Reverb

A couple of things I noticed. 2 of the 4 pots turn a little drunkenly, they go slightly up and down as they turn so maybe the instrument took a fall at some stage?

There's a couple of dings on it but nothing major

The G string didn't have much sustain with the existing strings on it so the store put a new set of flatwounds on it and I really, really like how it sounds now. So sound-wise all appears to be in order

Does anyone know what would be a fair offer for this bass, bearing in mind that it's lefty and maybe a little more expensive than righty?
    Thanks very much!
    Sharon

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Offer them $1,100 and see what they say. Sure, it's a left-handed model, not as common as a right-handed one, but let's just say not that many left-handed people come in looking to buy a bass compared to right-handed people, and if they do, they might just be looking for a less expensive bass.
    That bass might sit there until Christmas.
    I just bought a new Sterling Ray 34 two weeks ago that had been hanging up in GC for nearly a year and I saved $150.

Make an offer...the worst thing they can do is counteroffer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    $900.00

4. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'd start at $900 then they'll either counter or reject it outright and you can come up a bit. If you offer $1100 their first counter-offer will be around the $1300 and the best you'll hope for is around $1200.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    @bigdoghat just a peek at Sam Ash shows a brand new EBMM StingRay4 running $2,100.

As a fellow lefty, I've never run into a used lefty bass much less a fairly rare find as you have. A factory fretless StingRay is something to pounce upon if you're able. Even if it needs a bit of work (but not a lot).
    Best of Luck to you, Sharon!

6. bigdoghat

bigdoghat

Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks everyone, the responses have been very helpful. So they said with used gear the most they can initially come down by is 10%. In 60 days if the bass is still there then they'd be willing to knock more off it. So, I know it's a bit of a risk but I'm going to roll the dice and wait until May and hopefully it'll still be there. If I'm successful I'll post a couple of pics, thanks very much all for commenting.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

So you bought the bass?

If not, it's gone braj.

8. bigdoghat

bigdoghat

Jun 19, 2008
    No, I didn't buy it, I made an offer and they said for now, they can't come down more than 10% on the price. If it's still sitting there in 2 months then they'd be willing to come down more so I'm going to wait. It's already been there a month so I'm slightly hopeful!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  9. The number of folks looking for a LH fretless of that particular bass are probably few and far between. I don't know what area you live in but unless it's a very large market I think your odds are good. In other words I'm rooting for you and think there's a pretty good chance you'll get it even with the wait.

bigdoghat likes this.
  10. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    There is a brand new CAR fret less 2 band Stingray that is drop dead gorgeous at Bass Central for $1,660.00. For a used player instrument you should expect to pay in the neighborhood of 40% off of new selling price. If there is something special about it you may want to pay more but if you're only going to save 20% then just get a brand new unit.

bigdoghat likes this.
  11. bigdoghat

bigdoghat

Jun 19, 2008
    Update: I brought the bass home today! I got it in the end for $1130. I would have loved to have gotten them down to $1000 but they wouldn't do it and I love this bass so much I decided that $1130 was a fair price, for me at least! Thanks so much everyone for all the comments and the help with this

Cheers,
    Sharon

12. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    :thumbsup::bassist::)

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You know the deal, no pics, you bought carrots for $1130.

JMacBass65 and Dark Horse like this.
  14. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Yay! Now make with the pics!

gsgbass likes this.
  15. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Yep! That's the way it is.

Tz8NjxQ.

16. I call BS until we get pics!

;)

17. bigdoghat

bigdoghat

Jun 19, 2008
    lol, okay, since the crowd is demanding them :) I snapped a couple earlier today but they're not great and I'm under serious work pressure today with a deadline. I'll post nice ones later but here's what I have. The full length photo, the bass looks kind of "orangey", the close up one of the body is how it really looks color-wise

Attached Files:

18. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    As a lefty also, there is a bit of a myth that because the instruments are rarer, they can demand more $$.
    Not quite true.
    The demand is also less, so it kind of balances out.
    $900 offer, $1100 top.

bigdoghat likes this.
  19. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Nice bass, btw.
    If you've not had a Ray, definitely go for it - it could change everything for you!

bigdoghat likes this.
  20. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009

Beautiful!

bigdoghat likes this.