1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me make it through the gig

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by punkrocko, Mar 18, 2009.

1. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Hi Todd, My name is Bill Staudt. I studied with you in the early 90’s at BIT.

For the last few years I’ve worked as a hired gun type session bassist. Some of these gigs are uninspiring at best. I struggle to get through them, and often feel disappointed at my performance. Instead of being on top of my game I feel that I’m being dragged down to the level of the bands weaker players. Being a working musician I need to do these “in the trenches” style gigs, but I shouldn’t feel miserable afterwards.

Do you have any suggestions on how to transcend this? Meditation, yoga, diet, suggested literature?

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Bill,

Sorry I'm so slow in getting back to you. It's great to hear from you my friend!! I'm glad to hear you're playing for a living!! Well done!!

Since you're asking my opinion: The only cure I know for what you're going through is to quit doing these "knucklehead" gigs. They're dragging you down and will eventually STEAL YOUR JOY AND LOVE OF MUSIC if you're not careful. I've seen it happen to SO many people....

This may not be what you want to hear, but you know me well enough to know I'm not jiving you. Fair enough?.....

My recommendation is to invest in YOU and YOUR MUSIC!! That should be something you'll be passionate about. Start TODAY!!!!! As things progress for you and your music, then you'll be able to "back away" from these other gigs. Make sense??

There are other things we can talk about, but its WAY too much to type at this point. PLEASE feel free to give me a call...my cell is 661-755-4784. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about this...and anything else you might have questions about. Plus...it'd just be good to catch up w/you again.

I hope to hear from you soon.

3. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Todd!!
    My Sat gig was cancelled, so the wife and I are going to try to make it to the show in Indy. Maybe we can chat then.
    -Bill

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Oh Man...that would be AWESOME!!!!:hyper:....Feel free to call me...my cell is 661-755-4784.....Thanks Bill....

5. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Todd,
    The guitar summit was great. You sounded amazing, as always. I’m glad we had a chance to catch up, you gave me lots to think about.

Take care, and hope to see you again soon!
    -Bill

6. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Bill,

The pleasure was all mine....Thanks to you and your lovely wife for making the drive to Indy just to see an old teacher. You're a class act. Let me know what you decide to do.

I'm here to help...so don't hesitate to call on me if I can be of service. OK?? Cool....

I hope to make it back this way sometime soon, so I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!!