Help me make the rest of my strings thump like my B does

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Aug 7, 2005.

1. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I tune to drop B (B, F#, B, E). I recently switched from a Thumb to an Ibanez RD707 because of weight/balance issues.

I can never get the F# to get a good bottom end like the B does. I've used Lowriders, Ernie Balls, and D'addario strings.

What kind of strings will give me more bottom end across the rest of the strings?
  2. It may be an issue of setup, meaning that your B string may be set up differently (string height, etc). I've found that raising the strings a little adds some bottom end thump. Also, it may be that the B string corrodes and dies out faster than the others, which is normal. Older strings tend to have that "thump" and lose the sharp high end. Pickup height could be another suggestion... not sure how your string and pickup heights are set-up but the closer the string is to the pickup, the warmer it sounds. Generally I place the pickup a bit lower for the bigger strings and higher for the smaller strings... this tends to help even out the volume and warmth from string to string.

It could be many things, so look into setting your bass up differently. If it's the same for 3 sets of strings I don't think a different set will help you.