Help me mod an OLP.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Dec 18, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I was thinking of using xmas money to buy an amp, but ive decided i dont really need one.
    I can get an OLP for £110 which is a fantastic price. If i do get it i may consider getting a new pickup for it and a new bridge, Can anyone recommend a good pickup to put in there, aswell as a good replacement bridge, also, i am in the UK so please dont suggest items which are only available in teh US.
  2. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    I know it's a few extra bucks, but are Musicman S.U.B.'s available in the UK? If so, give it a try. Peace.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Check out the Seymour Duncan web site. They have some suitable pickups and are usually available internationally. According to their dealer page they are available in your neck of the woods from Aria U.K.. I imagine that you could find an Aria dealer and order from them.

Have fun!

Dan :bassist:

EDIT: for glaring typo.
  4. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    How to correctly mod an OLP: get a MusicMan Sub instead. I'd do it if I had the extra cash, but I just got a new bass so I can't do that until next November.
  5. bear in mind that a Musicman SUB costs about £675 in the UK...
  6. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You might be better off buying the SUB.
    to install SD active pickups on those OLPs you have to do some scraping right under the control plate 'cause the preamp won't fit and if you do that you might not be able to use the original control plate that came with it and custom make one which will have to be bigger so that you can fit the preamp underneath it.
    Now, that's if you get the 4 string OLP.
    I don't know if the other ones are different.
  7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    a SUB is out of the question, totally. far too much money for me to be spending, i dont ned another bass, si just want one to play with and if i like it ill either defret my yamaha or give it to my girlfriend. With regard to making a new control plate and routing the body i can do that myself. The control plate will be easy for me to make as im studying engineering, i may even be able to get one made in a CNC machine with custom engraving ;)
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As far as I know, the only companies that make replacement MM pickups are seymour duncan, bartolini and mighty mite.
  9. Kent Armstrong make an MM replacement-
    I've got one in my Dearmond Jetstar special.
    it's a plain cover ie. no exposed polepieces, so you won't get the classic stingray look.

available from Rainbow Products;

if you want to keep the bass passive I'd suggest fitting a series/parallel/single coil mini-toggle switch, and bypass the vol and tone pots.

re. the bridge, the standard baseplate is quite wide so if you replace it with something else there might be screwholes exposed.