Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me my strings are too hard

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by panazza, Nov 23, 2003.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    help me please...

my bass is too hard to play!!! i mean the string tension is too high... everything in the setup is ok and the action is right but my music man copy is difficult to play...and I dont' like the sound I get because it's not round and warm having to strike the strings so hard to make them play! I put on a set of d'addario exl 045 - 100 but it's still too hard, kinda like a warwick bass. I won't try 040 - 095 strings cause I prefer a warmer tone... my question is... do you know some SOFT strings I could try? Is there a way to soften the string tension on my bass?

thanx

2. Softer?

You can get warm tone with light strings too...

I get nice warm tone out of my thumb BO with light gauge DR higbeams.

Give lights a chance. :p

3. The Thomastik Infield strings have less tension and can be played with much more ease than other strings. IMHO.

I use the TI Jazz Flats and the Power bass series on most of my basses.

Check them out HERE

You can also post on the BB board and talk with Kevin Reynolds, he goes by Thomguy, he is a rep. for Thomastik USA.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    D'Addario's XLs are one of the warmest and softest roundwound strings out there. I tried Warwick Black Labels, Ernie ball slinkys, SIT nickel, Fender nickel, and prefer Daddario for a warm tone. I think 40-95 will sound "softer" than 45-100.

One other problem may be your bass. Music men are made to sound thick and agressive IMO.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've never been much good with terms like "round" or "warm". I know what you mean about string tension however and would agree with the other posts about both DR High Beams and TI Jazz Flats.

From my experience, the DR's are a very nice string for finger-style, but I never cared for the pick tone. They are pretty bright, but calm down nicely after a few weeks of use and they are cheaper than TI. I think most modern players would prefer them over the TI's.

I am running the TI's now and like most folks who have spent the $60 on them, I am pretty happy with them. They are softer (lower tension) than the DR's, and I think they sound good with a pick. I think folks who like more of a "60's P-Bass sound" would prefer them (not a lot of highs).