Help me NOT break a pickup!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    A friend of mine has me as the go-to for his bass work. His request this time:

"Make the pole pieces level on my Musicman pickup"

He plays on top of the pickup and digs in, as well as prefers low action.
    I know, the pickup is built to compensate for the radius of the fingerboard.
    But my buddy hates the feel of the pole pieces on the A and D strings when he plays.

The cover comes off and I can put a shim between it and the coils, but there's no perfect medium. Either the A and D poles protrude or the E and G have craters and the edge catches his finger.

Is there any way for me to push the 2 polepieces down to make them level?
    Or a new cover?

And no, electrical tape is not acceptable for him. I know it works, but he's vain.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you can tap the two middle poles down, just be ready to buy him a new pickup if it breaks in the process!

is this an older MM pickup, where the poles had annoyingly sharp edges? the new ones are nice and rounded so they don't catch the fingers so much.

the safest fix i can think of is to shim it down til the middle two are flush with the cover, then fill the holes over the outer polepieces with something to make them smooth and flush (carefully cut-out plastic discs? maybe from guitar picks or pickguard plastic?)

how close is the pickup to the strings? MM pickups should be well far away, like even 3/8" away on the bass side.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    He likes them closer than I'd ever recommend, but he insists on it for his "technique". It's the rounded edges, but he had one of the newest ones with the flat pickup and loved it.

I shimmed it up a little with cardboard to see if it works for him, but the cover's next for options.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    schecter's suggestion of the flat cover with no holes is the obvious solution; you could shim the pickup a good 1/4" back from under the cover so he can put it up against the strings for his "technique" without it actually being too close to sound right.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Ordered the cover... why make it harder for myself?!?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021