1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me not get ripped off: buying a Fender edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Balog, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Meeting a guy tonight to buy a MIM Fender Jazz bass. Never owned a Fender before, and with all the different lines made in different places I want to make sure I'm not paying MIM prices (although it is admittedly a good deal) for a Chinese instrument or a rebadged Squier or something. Mostly owned Peavey/Yamaha/Ibanez in the past ie brands that don't have virtually identical models from different places. So what should I look for to make sure it's the real deal?

2. Go to eBay, look in the classsifieds here on TB, look at the new ones on line. Familiarize yourself as much as possible. Good luck. It should say Made in Mexico on it.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Well, if you did pick this up, post some pics and you will certainly get more info than you maybe wanted to hear on it ...

... in the future, for these reading this, if you have time post pics that you receive (if available) ahead of time (before you go to look at it), and you will be well prepared when you see it ... if pics arent available, at a minimum get a serial # ... JMHO

4. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Did end up grabbling it. Original HSC, and looks like he barely touched it. Still demoing it to see if I prefer it to the MTD. Pics will be posted.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah, no pics no bass!

Any doubts on the authenticity, e-mail the S/N to Fender they will provide detailed specs right down to MSRP.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota