1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me out, guys!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Feb 24, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I just bought an Epifani Series 2 UL-210 and there's a rather loud and constant wooshing noise from the tweeter. I have my master volume up to max and the gain at about 9 o'clock, and it's almost like a fan/wind tunnel sound. Funny thing is, is that I called Nic at Epifani, and he said it's not the cab and that it could be the head, even though I tried my head through an Ampeg and there wasn't any noise through that cab. But, I did test my 210 in my apartment, so maybe it could be the grounding/wiring in my place? The gig I was at this weekend was too loud to tell if that noise was there, so anyone have any helpful info? It's a great cab and the weight is awesome, but the windy fan-like noise bothered me. The noise went away when I turned the tweeter off, but it shouldn't make this sound on FLAT/Normal.

2. The tweeter does not "make" any noise at all. It merely reproduces the signal being fed to it. Your amp is at fault here not the cabinet.

Paul

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. The highest quaility amps don't make high-frequency noise. OTOH, I just looked at the S/N (signal to noise) spec on my Hartke 3500, and it's 78dB. That's 20dB lower than what's considered a good figure in hi-fi.