1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me out here-I want a new combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HoosierBassist, Jan 21, 2012.

1. HoosierBassist

HoosierBassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Hey,

So, I'm in high school. Blues-rock, classic rock, alternative. I just had my band's first gig last night. Went very well. I wasn't nervous at all. Very fun. About 10 songs, the gig lasted maybe 45 minutes, it was a local restaurant that hosts free music every friday from 7-9pm. My guitarist was using a Marshall 10 watt solid-state (little thing) but loud enough for small gigs. practice amp basically. The 2nd guitarist (who isn't a permanent band member) was using a Fender Super Champ or something like that.

I was going into a direct box into a small PA, with my Ray34 instead of using my little Ibanez practice amp. Everything sounded great, I was not drowned out at all.

So, my bigger amp, is a Fender Rumble 75 I bought about a year and a half ago. It's pretty good, but I've seen some ok deals on Craigslist and Guitar Center's used section, on bigger combo amps.

I don't like the Rumble's EQ that much, and the overdrive is okay. It was only 215$ new at a local music store so I went for it. It's a decent amp, I just thought that if I have the opportunity to upgrade to a bigger (maybe used) amp for cheap, I might as well.

So, I've been looking at GK, Ampeg, Acoustic, etc.

I've only got about 30$ of cash, plus whatever I can sell my Rumble 75 for.

I'm kind of in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of thinking, but hey, a BA115 would be a bit closer to the SVT i've wanted (right?)

I don't have the money for cabinets and heads so I want a combo. Say I got 150 for my rumble. I may save up a bit, so what's the best combo amp under 350$? I'm considering new and used.

2. Used gear, 300W+ amp head + 2x10 or possibly 4x10 cab. That should last you a long time. Fender Rumbles crumble in bands.

3. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You might want to try and snag one of the new Micro CLs from Ampeg if you can afford it. The BA115 hasn't impressed me much when I've had to use one. It's not nearly as gutsy as my old Fender BXR200. That amp is still going strong for the guy I sold it to last year.

4. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    Roland D-bass 210 or 115. Pure bliss for the money