1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me out Lakland DJ owners... average weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warwickhunt, Apr 18, 2009.

1. I'm in the process of returning to Jazz basses and due to a recurring shoulder injury (oddly enough triggered AGAIN by the Squier 'Vintage Vibe' and Lakland JO, I have just acquired :bawl:), I'm looking for a downsized, reduced weight Jazz bass.

Sadowskys are top of my shopping list but not a lot about in the UK, however there are a few Lakland DJs. Now I know that to many people it is sacrilege to even mention Sadowsky (Metro or NYC) in the same breath as a Skyline DJ but please bear with me!

Problem is that I have heard and read so many stories about Skyline DJs clocking in at 10lb-11lb etc that it is making me wonder if the majority of DJs are closer to the weighty side than they are to say an 8lb feather-weight, hence I'm being unrealistic to expect to find a used lightweight DJ!

I have searched TB to get an idea of the average weight of DJ basses but it appears that people are reporting heavy basses rather than singing the praises of the light ones, so could people please give me an idea of what their bass weighs?

I would post this over on the UK BassChat site but I guessed there'd be a LOT more Skyline DJ owners in The States/on TalkBass. :D

Cheers.

2. birdie num nums

birdie num nums

Dec 20, 2006
    My DJ4 weighs exactly 10 lbs.. My friend who I bought it from told me that it is like 10.3 lbs. but he was wrong... Anyway, yes, it's on the heavy side...

3. I had one that was under 9 lbs. but I had to special order it.

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    If you've got the money, get the Sadowsky NYC, they're chambered, smaller bodies, hence, lighter weight.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think it's hit and miss. I have a fairly light JO5 at right about 9lbs (feels lighter). I would suggest trying some out first.

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    My Skyline DJ's about 9 lbs. If you like JOs, see if you can find a lighter one--in my experience, they don't run any heavier than DJs. Then again, if you have the money to consider a Sadowsky, I'd strongly encourage you to consider a US JO--US Laklands tend to be a bit lighter, IME.

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You'll find them between 8.8 and 11 pounds... Ever thought Dingwall?

8. My skyline DJ weighs in at 11.5 pounds. It's a boat anchor compared to my junk squier, which only weighs 8 pounds. Hope your shoulder gets better soon!

9. Thanks people.

Sadowsky NYC is top of my list but only if I can find used in the UK (you don't want to know about Import prices or Duty/Tax), same goes for the prices for USA Laklands.

Dingwall is certainly something I'd consider (along with Lull and a few others) but they are as rare as Hen's teeth in the UK! Importing has the same 24-30% taxation issues (inc' taxing on the shipping costs).

So it would appear from comments made that I can probably expect to find weights more likely to exceed 10lb on the Skyline DJs than I can to find them under! :(

10. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Put my DJ down for 8lbs, 15oz.

11. I heard the new Indonesian made Skylines tend to run much lighter than the Korean ones.

I have absolutely no idea if there is any truth to that though.

12. I wasn't even aware that Skylines were now made in Indonesia! :eyebrow:

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    They vary. I had a DJ5 that weighed 8.5 pounds. I have a 44-02 that ways 8.6 pounds. I have a 55-02 that is just under 10.

14. Mellow D

Mellow D

Apr 7, 2009
    Norway, Oslo
  15. Steinberger?
    :bag:

16. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Had an XL-2. It weighed 9 lbs.

17. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    had a DJ5 & DJ4 and both were sub-9 lbs. My 55-02 is 11.5-12 lbs. Skylines are hit and miss it seems. The Low End bass shop had a JO5 that was sub-9 lbs. about a month ago.

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Not sure if it's an option for you in the UK, but Bass Central in Florida will weight the instruments for you if you ask. Beaver and the gang weighed many different Laklands for me and I picked the lightest one in the color combo I wanted. They got them out of the warehouse, unboxed and unwrapped them, weighed them all, and then wrote the weights on all the boxes before putting them back up. Chances are, they might already have this done for the Skyline DJ's, but they'll happily do it if not. Beaver is great to work with and I highly recommend them for any purchase.

19. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I am not sure if you are interested in the Elrick basses. But if weight is an issue, you should check them out. I played a couple last week and was amazed on how light they were. The two 5-strings weighed around 7 lbs!

Good luck in your search.

20. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

My DJ is about 10lbs....I like my basses heavy.