help me out Mike Patton fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FaultLine423, Jan 2, 2003.

1. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    I just purchased my first Fantomas album today. It's called Amenaza al Mundo. Maybe I'm just not listening to it carefully enough, but it barely seems to have any musical quality to it at all. Now, I'm used to Mr. Bungle's sound, but this is too messed up for me. Could you suggest any other of Fantomas' albums that are perhaps more musical? I've heard great things about this band, and this album is a major disappointment.

2. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
  3. Fantomas is good when you're feeling really weird. I do suggest getting "Director's Cut" because it is much more musical. It's Mike Patton's remakes of classic movie soundtracks, such as The Godfather Waltz and some Henry Mancini scores.
  4. ove more vote ofr director's cut. that album is fantastic.
  5. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out both "the Director's Cut" and a Tomahawk album. Also, maybe this Fantomas album will grow on me.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know about Fantomas. Interesting, but uhhh, not that cool. I mean, they are great if you wanna listen to a bunch of noise, and sometimes I do, but yeah, Mr. Bungle and a few of his side projects are cool. Like Faith No More (yeah he was in Mr. Bungle first) and Tomahawk. And errr... has anyone heard any of his solo stuff. Adult Themes for Voice and uhhh the one where he is eating food while listening to jazz. And there is one of music he orchestrated I think... weird almost completely non listenable stuff.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Adult Themes for Voice was interesting though.
  8. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    Are any of his solo albums available on Ipecac (for those of you who don't know, his record label)? If not, where?
  9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Actually "Adult Themes For Voice" and "Pranzo Oltranzista" were both released under John Zorn's label Tzadik. Also, check out Mike's side project titled "Weird Little Boy" which is also with John Zorn.
    Click Here
  10. i like insect's horoscope, or horoscope for bugs; whatever it's called

(edit: a patton solo song)
  11. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Just being anal here but the first album is not called Amenaza ... Just Fantomas.
    Personally, I think that that album is brilliant. They must have rehearsed the crap out of those songs.
    Think of how influential all the components of that group are as well. Patton--of course, Buzz (Melvins)--inspired grunge, Trevor Dunn (Bungle), and Dave from Slayer !
    Check out the Ruins new album called Tzomborgha (sp?) if you like that. Like Fantomas, but perhaps a bit more "pop" (used very broadly). Probably more complex as well. They're on Ipecac Records (owned by Patton) as well. I can't stop listening to it.
    Trevor Dunn also has an interesting project (Trio Convulsante) which is really worth checking out. He knows his bass.

*end of rant*
  12. this is crazy talk!

fantomas' first album was the best thing i've heard in a long time. the director's cut is good, but not nearly as amazing as the first one.

tomahawk is TERRIBLE! yeah, you can start throwing rotten fruit at me, but i'm tired of the standard rock song, that's why i listen to a lot of patton's stuff... just to get away from the garage band thing.

a kick ass album with patton is dillinger escape plan's new one: irony is a dead scene. just saw DEP with patton on new years, and it was absolutely wild.

other mike patton stuff:
    maldoror: mike and merzbow doing pure noise
    wierd little boy: more noise
    adult themes: MORE NOISE!
    mr. bungle: disco volante is the best
    faith no more: never liked em
    tomahawk: i really wanted to like it, but i'm out of luck

supposively, he's putting out an album with the x-ecutioners, which should be pretty sick.

if you can dig up any mp3's of "moonraker" you're sure to be impressed.
  13. FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm actually starting to become accustomed to Fantomas. It's very effective when one is feeling pissed off. I was originally frustrated because I was expecting some melodic/insanity like Mr. Bungle. I began listening to Patton through Faith No More, so I'm more oriented to his melodic side, which is amazing in my opinion ("California", anyone?). I'm definitely enjoying Fantomas now, though, so I'm not disappointed with them anymore.
  14. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    I just got Tzomborgha a few days ago and it's incredible! It's just two Japanese guys on bass and drums with a few other instrumentalists popping up from time to time. If you like Fantomas, you'd probably like this. It's a lot heavier in the bass department, too.
    Also keep in mind that although the first Fantomas cd may sound like random noise, it was very carefully orchestrated and thought out. It may take a few listens for the songs to really take shape, but it'll grow on you.
  15. I know this an old thread, but I think any Patton fan who hasn't heard the EP he did with Dillenger Escape plan definitely should.
  16. the 1st fantomas is definatly my fav fantomas, but if u want some easy listening patton i would get 'Lovage'. He teams up with a chick singer whom i cant remember. But it is a great album that will put u in a good mood. Any1 else heard this album?
  17. That is one of the coolest metal albums i've heard.