Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me out please!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phanton_bass, Jan 21, 2001.

1. phanton_bass

phanton_bass

Jan 21, 2001
    I've been asked to stand in for a band in a recording studio, and i never been in a recording studio before and only have a week to learn what i have to do!!

can anyone give me advice, tips, tell me what i need to do, please

thanx

2. Hey Phanton,first make absolutely sure that you know the material inside-out/backwards and forwards.Also,if you have time,listen to other bands who have recorded in that studio so you'll become familiar with the studio's work.As far as the actual studio experience goes,you'll need to concentrate and relax at the same time,try to keep a balance between nailing your part and try to avoid overthinking your bassline.I hope that makes sense.Last but not least,have blast and enjoy.

3. mijarra

mijarra

Jan 20, 2001
    IMHO, being in the studio is one of the best things about being a musician. I know a lot of people hate it, but to me it's so rewarding. I can see why you would feel some pressure since you are sitting in with another band. Just relax and and enjoy the experience. You may not have much say as far as mixing goes, but try to learn as much as you can anyway while you are there.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Say, this thread hasn't received much response. I think maybe because it is about the act of recording and not about recordings themselves. This forum is more about discussing recordings. I'll move it to see if you can get more responses somewhere else. I'll move it to "Miscellaneous." Hopefully more answers will come your way there.

jason oldsted

5. If you have an active bass, make sure there's a fresh battery in it.

Fresh strings on the bass may be a good idea.

Bring a TUNER. Make sure that has a fresh battery, too.

Bring a cord.

Find out ahead of time if you're going to be recording direct, or if you need to bring an amp.

Don't be nervous!

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but do these things plus what the other guys said and you should be fine!