1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me out please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DumbChild, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Hey guys.
    Another question for you guys. Right i want to be heard at a hall, small - med live sorta thing. And all i have is a bass, how much is it gonna cost me to be heard. Basically what size amp am i gonna need what kinda speakers etc, and yea how much will it cost me to get those things?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are you playing with? What are you competing against in volume? Is there a good PA? What do you play? What kind of sound do you like?

3. Haha yea i should have mentioned that, lets just assume there is no PA and i am playing against 2 guitars drums and vocals. Not fussy with the sound or what bass im using at the moment, just want to know how big my amps gonna need to be to be heard, aswell as what kinda speakers will be needed. I suppose price can wait till later aswell. Just want a basic idea at what im looking at

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What size amps are the guitarists playing?

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    for a younger player, probably likes to crank it up (USE EAR PLUGS!!!), maybe has friends who like to crank their guitars and drums, hhhhhmmmmmmnnnnnnn.....

AT LEAST a 600w 410 cabinet, maybe add a 115, get a 600+w (into 4ohms) amp "head" or pre+ poweramp.

New prices be prepared to spend $1500 for the 410+amp

don't forget www.avatarspeakers.com

Used prices maybe $400 per cab. 300-400 for poweramp, 200 for preamp, maybe a Tech21 RBI?

speaker brands SWR, Eden, AMpeg, Mesa boogie.

6. haha thanks, im not one to crank it up unless i need to, to be heard. So im looking at $2000-$2500, thats all good ill be able to afford that within a few months of labour lol. Through the PA i would need less? Haha i suck at the whole amplification thing.