Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me out, tech-heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just bought a Boogie Buster head NOS today for real cheap, but it doesn't sound right. It doesn't get very loud, is lacking in low end and punch, and distorts very easily. When it is distorting, it has got a buzzy sort of distortion, rather than the round grind it should when turned all the way up. The place I bought it from said that it had been in the shop with a transformer problem, and claimed it had been fixed. I've replaced all the tubes. Does this sound like an output transformer problem? Any guesses as to what may be wrong?

2. It could be a burnt output tranny. The isolation stuff melted, shorting some part of the windings.

Or the high voltage generating circuit is not delivering enough juice.

Or a coupling cap is fried.

Or the tube bias could be way off.

But it could be lots of things, really.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have been in many a GC, and it's ilk, and seen tube amps turned on without a speaker attached. This is death to tube amps. Yours may be a victim of this.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Probably. I work at a GC and it's close to impossible to keep kids from unplugging speaker cables. This particular amp had a broken tube that was stll in there and had not blown the fuse. After I took it home and plugged it in, I noticed a faint burning smell, which makes me think of a transformer. Oh well, the amp only cost me $275, so if I get it fixed it may still be a deal.