help me out with this equipment/band problem

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nirvana4ever, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    Okay, this has been stressing me out for a while now. I'm in a band. We practice a lot. Although our drummer is barely with us, the guitarist and I get together almost every day and practice. The thing is, we go to his house straight from school. I keep my old bass at his house so it's there for "emergencies." But this bass is horrible. The strings are way too high, the high frets sound terrible (metallic buzzy noises), and it's big and heavy. This bass is very troublesome to play. So I've been leaving my good bass at his house a lot lately because if we come straight from school, I don't have it with me. And it's not always planned, so I don't know when to bring it, plus it isn't the most convient thing to bring it around the school with me. Now, I've been leaving my good bass at his house a lot, and I don't have it at my house. I can't practice alone. I can't do exercises my teacher gives me. And I need it for my lesson every week. So, I constantly have to worry about it. I would love to just have practice at my house, but I don't have a drum set and he lives closer to the school. This whole thing is driving me crazy. And I know if I talk to him about this, he is really not going to have a solution. Is there a solution? Help me out.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Bring your bass to school and get all the chicks...?
  3. I would suggest getting a bass from that you can leave over someones house without too much thinking.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Have a professional do a setup on your practice bass, then leave us alone.
  5. +1 on the "setup"; not too keen on the rude "leave us alone" part... :scowl:
  6. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i've only been around here for something like 9 months, but i've come to expect that from munji. and frankly, i was thinkin it lol. shell out 50 bucks, get someone to make it play pretty. then never speak of this thread again.

edit: hahahahaha petary, next time check profiles; nirvana4ever IS a chick (and i say chick with all the love and respect i have for the female gender). sigh. good times.
  7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Get rid of the crappy bass- you obviously hate the thing. If you get it set up, it will be a crappy bass with good action & new strings, but it will still be crap. Leave your good bass at home so it doesn't get scratched & play air guitar/bass at your non-drummer practice sessions. In fact, get rid of this lazy ass drummer that doesn't want to practice & get yourself a chick singer in a tight skirt while you're at it. Maybe a chick drummer in a tight skirt that sings? Maybe you should learn how to play the drums and get a bass playing chick singer in a tight skirt?
    Good Luck & please stop bothering us.
    ps. I'm only kidding.
  8. Very funny. We all want more girls to visit talkbass and you're not helping.
  9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I agree with the idea of getting rid of a bass you don't like and is overly heavy and start looking for a backup bass which you can leave at the drummers place.

You should be able to sell the other bass for something and if you go take a look around at some used basses you may end up with less in another bass than setup would have cost you for the one you hate.
  10. Getting the guy to schedule practices sounds like a good place to start.
  11. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    You sir, have not seen enough of these threads..... Munji has seen thousands.
  12. Do you work for them or something? I've never heard of that company before.

Looks like all Fender copies. Are they any good at all?
  13. LOL. I like your style, and bow to the inevitable. I guess it's just a bother to be bothered.

Then I'll keep reading and maybe Munji needs to take a break for a while so it's fresh when he gets back. Hope his auditions are going well. Waiting to hear if it ends up Rock, or Pedal Steel! :D
  14. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    He probably has no relation to them. They are a superb company, I highly reconmend there stuff. I own a brice 6er, definatly good enough to just leave at a guitarists house to practice on. The Jazz's seem to be nice, and quite nice on the pocket. I would go that road honestly. Or bitch out the drummer and make him schedule practices. Or make him drive you home to get your bass (what I do, no way i leave my Modj anywhere).
  15. They are indeed good. I own one and I couldn't be happier with it. At 120 dollars you really cannot go wrong. They are made of very good material, have decent pickups (I am getting new ones for xmas), great necks (mine needed some set up... I hear some people have their's perfect though) and great tone. I personally recommend them... and we also have the Essex megathread on the Basses forum... and everyone there gave them a good review (from what I have read).
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego