Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me out with this one, please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 21, 2005.

1. I have a '98 MIA Fender Jazz with stock pups and a J-Retro. The J-Retro makes it a very versatile bass, but it still sounds like a Jazz. I'm beginning to think that I'm not a Jazz Bass player because there's something just a little too trebly about the sound. I find myself relying on the neck pup or both, but never the bridge - or if I do use the bridge I boost the bass.

I saw one of these in a recent catalog:

[​IMG]

and I was very impressed! It's an Ibanez SR900. I love basses that are made of various woods and have natural tints to them, letting the beauty of the wood shine through.

Has anybody here played this bass, and would you be able to tell me how the sound compares with a Jazz with J-Retro? How does the neck compare? Would this be a versatile bass, and could I possibly play classic rock tunes on it? I have a Hartke VXL bass attack coming in the mail which will work as a tube amp emulator.

Thanks!

Matt