Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me out with this sighting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Jan 22, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    About 6 months ago I saw a great looking Fender at the music store. It had a P-bass neck, telecaster bass body and P/J Pickup configuration. It had a blondish finish on it and a black telecaster pickguard. Rosewood fretboard. It was selling for 580$ CANADIAN! It got sold though. I'm so mad I didnt have the money to buy it. It looked so great.

Can anyone tell me what model bass this was? Sorry I dont have a year or anything.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sounds like a "FrankenFender" to me.

Someone took components and jammed them together, perhaps some Warmoth parts.

3. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Damn, I was hoping I could find another one.

Thanks though.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It might have been a Precision Special. There was a version made a few years ago that matches that description and the $580CDN price while a bit high would be in the ballpark. They were made in both Mexico and Korea.

The problem with the name "Precision Special" is Fender has used it at different times for totally different basses, causing a lot of confusion.

5. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Hmm... so there's still hope.

I'll do a search on the net.