1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me out with this Telecaster/precision bass in Denmark

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kas_lar, Apr 28, 2009.

1. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi everybody...

I'm a vintage bass lover:hyper: and I've recieved an offer on a quite speciel Precision today.

The seller (a guy a don't know and I don't really completly trusts) tells me that it's a speciel version with a telecaster bass body and everything else from a normal P bass.
    The finish has been removed to a natural finish, and the neck is maple. The pup's are normal, fat sounding dual P's...
    The bass is made May 1965, and the price is up there... Almost 5000 dollars.
    Can this be true? or is this a frankenbass? Are the price right?

I'm actually really looking for a normal 60's P bass with nice reliced finish(off white, red, just not sunburst) and a typical P fat sound. Got any links?? ;)

2. rubato

rubato

Feb 16, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    No.
    Yes.

3. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi rubato - Please give me some info... I need press the price down...

Thanks for your reply!

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Not so fast there. Can you get a pic of what this guy is selling??

For the 1966 european market, Fender did make a slab body Precision (no body contours) and it had a maple fretboard. Aside from those two special details, everything else was the same as a regular P. And as a result these slab P's are sought after.

5. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    If you don't have a good feeling about the seller I would stop right there. Wait until you find a bass you like from a seller you trust.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What it may be is one of a limited run for the UK/Europe around '65-'66 of a P bass with a slab body.

John Entwistle owned one.

jae-67-pbass.

7. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi guys... here are the pics... Not much, but this is it...
    Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I see nothing there that resembles a Tele. That's a plain old P-bass of some kind or another.

IMHO... Tele Headstock, Tele Singlecoil P Pickup, and Tele style Pickguard makes a Tele-P bass.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those pictures suck. Not enough to go by.

10. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    I tried the bass just 2 hours ago, and the body is definitely not a normal P body..

11. The Wrench

The Wrench

Feb 13, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    This could be something very special. I agree that the pictures do not do much to help, but there were slab bodied precision in late '65 to early '66. Check out this link and try to get in touch with Bazz Matthews. He documented quite a few of these over the years and he may know the one you are looking at...

http://www.authorhouse.co.uk/Bookstore/ItemDetail~bookid~57424.aspx

12. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    By the way - I think the serial number was around 135000

13. The Wrench

The Wrench

Feb 13, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    That would sound about right. PM sent...

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I don't think the edge radius on the bass in question jibes with a slab body P.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The edge radius of the treble side horn looks like it could be consistent with a slab body especially if it's been stripped/sanded but the picture isn't good ehough to make a definitive determination.

Can't even tell from the picture if there are body contours or not although it looks as if there may not be.

Can you tell us if there are body contours or show better pictures?

16. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    There are no body contours like a normal P bass / J bass, and no - I don't have better pics.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Well there ya go...no contours.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Need and want way way way better pics!!!!

19. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    What about the edge radius...is it more like a Tele or a Strat?