1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick a 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UncleBalsamic, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Aguilar DB112

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Aguilar GS112

17 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. Dr Bass DRB 112

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Dr Bass DRB 1260

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Carrots

38 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Well, I've decided that 2 112s are going to be the way to go when I get my new rig (hopefully a new Markbass head as well), but I have to decide which ones to get.

From what I've seen the main contenders are the Aguilar DB112, the Dr Bass DRB 112 and the Dr Bass DRB 1260, with the Aguilar GS112 as a present but less likely option.

The Aguilar DB112 looks great and apparently sounds great (with lots of mids:)), but it is the most expensive and the heaviest by far at 45 lbs.

The Dr Bass DRB 112 is the cheapest, the lightest and has a better frequnecy response than the DB112. The downsides to me the "horror stories" of dealing with Dr Bass.

The DRB 1260 is similar, but with a 6.5" mid driver as well. It also weighs closer to the Aguilar even with a neo driver.

Aguilar GS112

I will only be able to buy one cab for a while, but it will become a pair in the near future, so bear that in mind when you vote.

Help me TB!

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you were going with a 2 x 112 stack, there are many wonderful options (DB112, AE112, EpiUL112, etc.).

However, IMO, none of these will handle even a moderate volume gig on their own IMO and IME.

The closest thing you will come to in a 112 that will do at least '210 performance' IMO is the Genz NeoX112 (NOT the Shuttle 112, the larger NeoX model). It has great punch and is darn loud for a 112, and won't totally break the bank.

I've posted before the best '112' I've ever heard is the new Schroeder 115L+, but they are a bit spendy. They have the ability to handle a lot of power and come in 4ohm version, which is GREAT for the 500 watt micro heads, and weigh only 30 pounds and are smaller than most 112's. Quite amazing.

However, if you are set on a 112 as a stand-alone, it would be the GenzNeoX112 for me.

3. I would second the Genz Benz Neox 112, I find mine to be good for practice and as a loud stage monitor, I think it can work as a stand alone in moderate volume situations and two would be even better. They are larger than many 112's but fairly light. The Epifani ul112 are lighter (about 30 lbs each as opposed to 35)

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just FYI, the entire EpiUL line has increased in weight. Epi has not been totally forthcoming about the weight change, but I believe the current UL112's are in that 35 pound range now. The Epi website understates the true weight of these cabs.

5. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    HUGE +1 on the Schroeder 115L+

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I will get two eventually (couple of months after probably) and I won't be using a single 112 on a gig I don't think.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Ah, that opens things up a bit. From your influences, a 112 with a bit of low mid meat seems to be the best match for your tone goals. The DB112's are awesome for that, but are a bit heavy and a bit expensive.

I would consider the Epi PS112's. They are a good deal, are about the same weight as the now heavier UL112's, and have more of a 'fat low mid punch' voicing versus the more modern, wide voicing of some neo 112's. Two of those would kill, and wouldn't break the bank. They are available from Musician's Friend. Nice sounding, small, powerful 112's that won't break the bank nor the back!

8. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I'm running two GS112s with a Markbass head and it's a great little setup. Very often I only use one of them unless I really need some serious volume.

Most of these 112 cabs will sound better as a set. Perhaps not "better" but fuller or more open. I notice this when I'm running 2 cabs.

What sort of music do you play?

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I play rock generally, but I'm more interested in getting a good clean tone (with perhaps a bit of warmth) that cuts through well.

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I use a LMII and a Berg AE112. Somewhere down the line, I will add a second AE112, I think.

11. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    KJung what do you think about the Dr Bass DRB 112? I won't be able to try it out at all but he specs look good. It's the cheapest as well.

300 watts RMS Neo
    1x12 w/horn
    X-over w/HF level control
    45HZ to 20kHZ
    99 dB 1W1M
    4 or 8 ohms
    15.5"h x 20.75"w x 15"d
    34 lbs. Neodymium

12. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Here's another vote for Bergantino!

I used to own a pair of GS112's, and found I didn't like the sound of one by itself. I experienced similar disappointment with the DB112's. Paired up, they sound great, but standalone, I just thought they sounded boxy and kind of weak.

I've played through the Genz-Benz's mentioned above, the Schroeder, and the Aguilars (no experience with Dr Bass). I can honestly say that the Bergantino HT112 and AE112 bury all of the above. No contest.

Ever since I got rid of my pair of GS112's, I've been looking for something similarly small, but not lacking in oomph. Out of what I've been able to test so far, the Bergantino's are the only ones that can really do the job (IMO, of course).

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

14. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I think Bergantino may be a bit too much for me as much I'd love them!

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My vote is for the Dr. Bass DRB 1260. It's hard to beat the advantages of a good three-way cab - especially if you value good, clean full-range tone with ample mids and highs. Make sure you get the deep version - the 1260D - for a little more low-end oomph!

Yeah, you may have quite a wait. But from what I've gathered, it'll be worth it... :hyper:

MM

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Excellent choice with the 112 pair. I love it. I can stack them on end to get a nice 'wall of sound' and they are still very portable.

I have a stack of UL112s but they are the series one version that are getting harder to find. They do sound exceptional with my LMII. I keep getting GAS for new stuff, but as soon as I have them on the gig the GAS is instantly killed. Just a super warm, full, yet punchy pair of cabs. The series one are 30LBS each.

Definitely demo an Epi PS112. Freakin' awesome cab. Two would be incredible. Nicely priced too. Ken's certainly right on this one (as usual).

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oh btw, definitely do a search on Dr. Bass.

I've read alot of bad press on Loooonnnngggg wait times and shoddy customer service.

Not something I would personally persue.

18. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    +1

I recently bought two Epi PS112's and I love them. They're awesome on their own or together and at 36 lbs they're light enough to not bother my back.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with that brand of cab at all. Lot's of threads and posts on them though if you do a search.

However, I will say that I would pretty much ignore published cab specs. They are all pretty loose, and at best, only moderately correlated with performance.

20. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I of course recommend the Mesa 112's (see my avatar). I have had great success with these cabs. The last two gigs I have done I have been lazy and actually gigged with only one of the cabs, and had no problem being heard (I feed it a lot of power though with my mesa M6 Carbine) and I'm competing with a Fender Devile and a Peavy Classic. Your Mileage may vary.