Help me pick a 6 string bass. Spector fans/haters, chime in!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Alright friends, the time has finally come.....

After sportin' my MIM Fender Std. Jazz 5 for over 4 years, I'm going to get another bass. I'm hopefully going to have a summer job paying around $14 an hour, so by the end of the summer I'll be able to afford one relatively easy.

Here is the criteria:

• Fretted 6 string bass that will effectively play anything from hard metal or punk to jazz or "worship" music.
    • Less than $1000 preferable, but if I discover something I like a lot that is $1400 or less, I'll spring.
    I'm not overly concerned about things such as string spacing or type of wood, but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

Right now I'm leaning towards this :

Spector NS2000/Q6. Listed in Musicians Friend for $600, but I'm not buying sight unseen.

Anyways, what do you guys think??
  2. I personally love Spectors, although I have never played an NS2000 model. I've also never been able to own one so I've only played my friends and the ones in stores. The euro and american ones I've played have been really good quality and sounded great. So if you try it out and you like it go for it.
  3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I have the 5 string version of that and it's great. Althugh musicians friend was selling it for $549, i got it on sale at a small music shop in my area for $399. Quite a bargain. Shop around at different stores in your area. Maybe you'll get lucky
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Wow, that's cheap for a 6er and a Spector to boot! That's about the best bang for the buck I'd think, and they are awesome basses.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

As I said in the original post, I wasn't going to buy it sight unseen. I know that I can find almost anything cheaper at a store than at Musicians Friend.

Any other experiences with this particular bass or any others that someone would like to recommend for me?
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out a Peavey Fury VI and an Ibanez BTB406. If your budget can swing it, a used Cirrus VI would blow away the Spector.
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Any stores around the DFW area where I could out one of each of those basses, and possibly the Spector too??
  8. Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    I played a Cirrus when I bought my Spector, and thought the Cirrus was whacked.

That Sector is a great bass.
  9. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Guitar Center on LBJ has some Spectors. I would consider a trip to Garland to go see what Larry Morgan has. Last time I was there, there was a COOL Godin 5 string for about a grand. I know you said you were looking for a 6, but you should check them out. Have you looked at Warwicks? GC has tons of them (the one on Central at Southwestern). BrookMays is the only place I've ever seen Peavey. Check out the Pro Shop on 183. Don't waste your time going to any of the other Brook Mays locations.

Personally, I would save up a bit more and get a Roscoe 6. It's more than double what your budget is, but you won't be needing to buy another bass for a while. :bassist:

Another option to consider is a used Carvin 6. Or, a new Carvin. Anyway, my .02.
  10. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I also have the 5-string version of the Spector NS2000/Q series. I absolutely love it. I've been agonizing for a 5-string for almost a year and nothing appealed until I plugged in the Spectors. The Euro series basses are my dream shot, but believe me, I don't feel like I'm settling with the Korean line. The Q5 really thumps, and also delivers well on the high end. It's got a few of the usual gripes like a difficult-to-access battery compartment, but the compartment itself is really well layed out. Very neat and clean. Also room to make a nice little upgrade (see EMG site) for adding another battery to kick up the preamp from 9v to 18v. I haven't tried it yet, but I've seen the mod posted here in and the results are supposed to be intense. However you go, good luck. It's what sounds and feels good to you, nothing else matters. Take care.
  11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    spend 300 bucks and get the brice 6 string with the bubinga top. and spend another 2-250 on new pickups and pre amp and have a killer bass.

My friend just got one and i LOVE it. the pre amp sucks though. Very solid built bass, plays great, feels good, kickass bridge...;$sessionid$32PY4ZAAAAMYTTZENUFUTIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1393509
  12. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    if you think you can get into the $1400 range, you'll be able to afford a Used Boutique bass that will generally blow away a factory made bass

just a suggestion/opinion
  13. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I've been trying to help a friend unload a whole stock of Spectors including a trans black NS2000 Q6. I played it the other day through and Ashdown rig and it sounded killer. Dual trussrods, nice sounding pickups and quick release bridge. Too bad I'm a lefty cause I would have bought it. So affordable for a 6.
  14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I gotta ask... Finger style? Slapping? Both?

...Anyways, For a "Budget" 6'er I would pick a BTB 406Q, Very nice bass for the money, the action can go VERY low plus it has a Flat, Fast neck...

If you can "Spring" for it, I might suggest a Used Modulus Q6. A HI-FI sound, with close string spacing for GREAT finger style. (My Fav Bass to play)

Good Luck, You wont Regret the Six String choice.
  15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I would love to be able to extend my budget, but my buying a bass is contigent upon me getting the (VERY well paying) summer job that I'm applying for. Since the money I make will be my survival money for next semester, I can't really extend my budget any further.

Anyways, yeah...I'm planning a trip to the DFW area (all day bass excursion, plus food at Uncle Julio's!) during Spring Break, so I'm looking for all the GOOD shops around the area. I'll definitely give the ones you mentioned a shot.

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

How much does he want for it?
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Some of both (fingerstyle and slapping).

I'll check out the BTB.

Keep the suggestions and DFW locations to try coming!!
  18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Sorry for the string of posts, guys....

What do you recommend that I look for?? To be honest I've never even looked into "boutique" basses, so I wouldn't know what is a good price for any of them.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I'll look into it. It'll depend largely on what I can get a good deal on, and I assume that it will be cheaper to get a Q6 than a Legend.