1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick a bass for roughly £400/$400!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonas., Jun 9, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    hi,

i made a similar thread about this a few days ago, however, my budget has changed, and so have my needs.

I have a budget of £400 or $400 (i didn't do a direct conversion because basses in UK and US are the same number of which ever currency it is, i know - it sucks)

i was thinking along the lines of a fender jazz, i was originally inspired by the idea of a 6er, but i don't think i could afford a half decent one - unless the peavey grind is any good! :p

sso yea, i play mainly slap, and i'm not in a band, so slapping is how i use my time. i'm not neccessarily looking for a variety of tones - just a single GOOD one.

thank you :)

2. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    You can look at a used SUB... Altough they're cheaper Stingray/Sterling versions, they tend to have a nice sound for the price and everyone knows that a MM bass begs to be slapped :bassist: :p
    But yeah, a Fender Standard Jazz is also a good option... The jazz will be more versatile since it has 2 pups...

It all depends... If you like the feel and sound of a MM-type, if you like a J-type... Or maybe even a P-type (take a listen to Patrice Rushen's 'Forget Me Nots' if you think a P-bass isn't suited for slapping)... you should go for it.

If you're going to buy a Fender MIM, be sure you have played the bass and have tested and have felt it, as there are nice ones among them, but also pieces of sh*t... (Notice : the neck, is it straight? The neck pocket, is it tight? Feel the tuning keys right? You can always put in new pups or install a BadAss bridge...) And in general: listen to how the bass sounds acoustic, unplugged. It'll tell you a lot of it's quality.

Hope this helps you out a bit, but you should take a listen for yourself.

3. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    ah! thank you musicfreak1988, i will look into the SUBs. also, if i get a fender jazz, i will use your advice, as previously i'd never really known how to check accurately for a "dud." :)

4. As of today £400 = $728.08, $400 = £219.71

That's a huge spread either way you slice it.

5. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005