Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaFrogMan, Dec 23, 2004.

1. DaFrogMan

DaFrogMan

Dec 23, 2004
    I know you guys probably get this kind of question a lot, but I need help choosing a bass.

I have been playing for about 7 years, but most of that was in high school/ middle school. I played in the jazz band and pep band in high schoo. I played some pretty heavy stuff in a contemporary worship band over the summer (before everyone had to go back to school.) and play at a worship band at church now.

I'm looking for a bass that I can get for around $500 to $750 maybe?

I want my bass to be...

Versital - I play lots of different types of music (rock, funk, slap, and a bit of blues and jazz.)

Beautiful - Looks are important to me too.

What brand is best? Do I want a 5-string? (I played one for a year in high school) Do I want a fretless? (the 5-string I played was fretless)

I was looking at the Ibanez SR900 or SR905

Thanks a bunch!
    ~Aaron

2. you can find a used Music Man Stingray for $650, or at least that is what I sold mine for.

3. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    used or new Geddy Lee Jazz

4. You can get a used Rickenbacker for about 700 or so, nothing beats Ric. But really, what you should do , is go down to your local music store and try out basses and get the one that you like best. You can sit here and listen to opinions all day , but opinions vary, you might not agree with what someone claims are the best basses, so just go see for yourself. At least thats what i prefer to do.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    ^ What he said. Hands-down the best value you can get between $580~$680.