1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaFrogMan, Dec 23, 2004.

1. DaFrogMan

DaFrogMan

Dec 23, 2004
    I know you guys probably get this kind of question a lot, but I need help choosing a bass.

I have been playing for about 7 years, but most of that was in high school/ middle school. I played in the jazz band and pep band in high schoo. I played some pretty heavy stuff in a contemporary worship band over the summer (before everyone had to go back to school.) and play at a worship band at church now.

I'm looking for a bass that I can get for around $500 to $750 maybe?

I want my bass to be...

Versital - I play lots of different types of music (rock, funk, slap, and a bit of blues and jazz.)

Beautiful - Looks are important to me too.

What brand is best? Do I want a 5-string? (I played one for a year in high school) Do I want a fretless? (the 5-string I played was fretless)

I was looking at the Ibanez SR900 or SR905

Thanks a bunch!
    ~Aaron

2. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    you can find a used Music Man Stingray for $650, or at least that is what I sold mine for.

3. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    used or new Geddy Lee Jazz

4. You can get a used Rickenbacker for about 700 or so, nothing beats Ric. But really, what you should do , is go down to your local music store and try out basses and get the one that you like best. You can sit here and listen to opinions all day , but opinions vary, you might not agree with what someone claims are the best basses, so just go see for yourself. At least thats what i prefer to do.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    ^ What he said. Hands-down the best value you can get between $580~$680.