Help me pick a cab for my SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Trying a few new things right now, and would like some opinions. Thanks Tom for the help youvealready given me.

Im looking for one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs, new or used in the $800 range.

I want to know what cab(s) with the above requirements would you choose to be paired with an SVT Classic.

2. Oh and I do not want an 810 of any brand. I need more compact cabs than that.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Don't take it bad, I'm just trying to understand : what's the point of having a head that delivers so much power if you don't connect a cab that will be able to project it really loud ?

Well, anyway, if you want some headroom without the size and weight, thinking of an Aggie GS212 in 4 ohms.

4. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I just ordered an SVT classic with 2 ampeg 410he cabs...
  5. Because nowadays a cab doesnt have to be huge to do justice to the power of the SVT. A freind of mine has an Ampeg 810 and I just hate the sound of it. Sorry.

That good enough?
  6. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    How about a 2 or 4x10 and a 1x15? I'm just headed out the door so I'll try and post back later with some models.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd go 810.
    4 ohms PR-410HLF, great cab, built like a tank. Excellent range.
    8 ohm SVT-410HE, a lot of punch lacks bottom, add
    8 ohm SVT-115E There's you bottom.
  8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sorry, I had just underestimated the huge differences there are between an SVT-CL and an SVT, tonewise and powerwise.
  9. marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    Lets answer the guys question, not get into a "vintage" is better than a cl, flame fest....ok?

The SVT 410hlf is a great bottom to pair up with a SVT CL. Superb lows from the bass reflex design, 4-10's give you great power handling and midrange and it has an adjustable tweeter for your highs. I own this setup and it serves me very well.
  10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That was not my purpose at all. I just went wrong because I read "SVT" in the subject, and having used both SVT & SVT-CL in the past, I had in my mind I never found a better cab than the 810 for the old SVT on the headroom point.

Yes, you're right, smaller cabs such as SVT-410HLF and others (such as Aggie GS212 I suggested) can fit an SVT-CL perfectly.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Bergantino NV610. Has the tone of a SVT 8x10 while being FAR less bulky and has more range and is pretty much just as loud...
  12. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Since I had a Classic, if I were you I would at least *try* a sealed 4X10, or less specific, just sealed cabs in general - I don't know a brand, but that's what I would seek out to try. The Classic combined with a ported cab will produce a non-defined, nothing special, tone, IMHO.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would suggest any one of the Bergantino NV series cabs. If you want to go smaller, some other cabs that I have tried which sound great with power tube heads include the Sadowsky 4x10, Accugroove Whappo, Jr., Music Man HD-212, and Acme Low B-2's.

But the 'classic' choice would seem to be the NV610.

14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Trav...ya already know what I think!

(BERG NV!!!)
  15. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Ampeg PR-410HLF, NV610, or Schroeders 410 or 21012 would be my choices.
  16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1 on the Bergantino 610, or Aggie 12s.
  18. After using a Goliath SR. with my Ampeg SVT Classic for almost 7 years, I'm getting a Schroeder 410 next week... and I have only heard good things about them!!!
  19. OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    If you want 2 cabs get an SVT210 and an SVT115. I use it and it sounds pretty damn good. Loud, good lows, good highs etc.

Or if you want one cab get an SVT410HLF. 4 ohms, apparently has good lows for a 410 and it's punchy.
  20. marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006

Cool Jay, thanks for the reply.