1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick a cab for my SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Trying a few new things right now, and would like some opinions. Thanks Tom for the help youvealready given me.

Im looking for one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs, new or used in the $800 range.

I want to know what cab(s) with the above requirements would you choose to be paired with an SVT Classic.

Thanks.

2. Oh and I do not want an 810 of any brand. I need more compact cabs than that.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Don't take it bad, I'm just trying to understand : what's the point of having a head that delivers so much power if you don't connect a cab that will be able to project it really loud ?

Well, anyway, if you want some headroom without the size and weight, thinking of an Aggie GS212 in 4 ohms.

Cheers,
    Jay

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I just ordered an SVT classic with 2 ampeg 410he cabs...

5. Because nowadays a cab doesnt have to be huge to do justice to the power of the SVT. A freind of mine has an Ampeg 810 and I just hate the sound of it. Sorry.

That good enough?

6. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    How about a 2 or 4x10 and a 1x15? I'm just headed out the door so I'll try and post back later with some models.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd go 810.
    4 ohms PR-410HLF, great cab, built like a tank. Excellent range.
    8 ohm SVT-410HE, a lot of punch lacks bottom, add
    8 ohm SVT-115E There's you bottom.

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Sorry, I had just underestimated the huge differences there are between an SVT-CL and an SVT, tonewise and powerwise.

9. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    Lets answer the guys question, not get into a "vintage" is better than a cl, flame fest....ok?

The SVT 410hlf is a great bottom to pair up with a SVT CL. Superb lows from the bass reflex design, 4-10's give you great power handling and midrange and it has an adjustable tweeter for your highs. I own this setup and it serves me very well.

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    That was not my purpose at all. I just went wrong because I read "SVT" in the subject, and having used both SVT & SVT-CL in the past, I had in my mind I never found a better cab than the 810 for the old SVT on the headroom point.

Yes, you're right, smaller cabs such as SVT-410HLF and others (such as Aggie GS212 I suggested) can fit an SVT-CL perfectly.

Cheers
    Jay

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Bergantino NV610. Has the tone of a SVT 8x10 while being FAR less bulky and has more range and is pretty much just as loud...

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Since I had a Classic, if I were you I would at least *try* a sealed 4X10, or less specific, just sealed cabs in general - I don't know a brand, but that's what I would seek out to try. The Classic combined with a ported cab will produce a non-defined, nothing special, tone, IMHO.

Skel

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would suggest any one of the Bergantino NV series cabs. If you want to go smaller, some other cabs that I have tried which sound great with power tube heads include the Sadowsky 4x10, Accugroove Whappo, Jr., Music Man HD-212, and Acme Low B-2's.

But the 'classic' choice would seem to be the NV610.

Tom.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Trav...ya already know what I think!

(BERG NV!!!)

15. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Ampeg PR-410HLF, NV610, or Schroeders 410 or 21012 would be my choices.

16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1 on the Bergantino 610, or Aggie 12s.

18. After using a Goliath SR. with my Ampeg SVT Classic for almost 7 years, I'm getting a Schroeder 410 next week... and I have only heard good things about them!!!

19. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    If you want 2 cabs get an SVT210 and an SVT115. I use it and it sounds pretty damn good. Loud, good lows, good highs etc.

Or if you want one cab get an SVT410HLF. 4 ohms, apparently has good lows for a 410 and it's punchy.

20. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006

Cool Jay, thanks for the reply.