1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick a cab (info inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 96Brigadier, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Current Gear
    I'm currently running a GK Fusion 550 into a GK 410 RBH that sits up on a stand, making the 410 the same height as the top four speakers of an 810. I'm using a 4 pole speakon to have full control over the horn, which I turn all the way down as it is just too sharp for my liking. I also have a GK Neo 410 that I don't particularly like the sound of... it's muddy to my ear.

Rental Heads and Cab!
    I'm in Canada so there are slim pickings for rental gear (and gear in general for that matter). I have been wanting to try an all tube head (as opposed to my hybrid Fusion) for a while, so this week I rented a Traynor YBA 200-2 and a Traynor YBA-300. Love the YBA-300! Last night I rented a Traynor TC810 as I had to know what an all tube head through an 810 sounds like. WOW. Everything is so smooth, from the bass to the mids to the highs. It has the tone that is in my head when I think of what a bass should sound like.

Help me Talkbass, You're my Only Hope!

Do I *need* an 810? No, I don't. It's insanely overkill for what I need. But I love the tone I'm getting out of it combined with the YBA-300. Sooooo good!

Is there a smaller cab that is going to get me close enough in tone (combined with the YBA-300) such that I won't be tempted to buy the 810? The 410RBH and Neo 410 cabs don't get me that tone.

Thanks in advance for the help! Keeping in mind that I'm in Canada, if there are certain specs I should be looking for that is as helpful as actual brands. Most of the brands in the US can be a pain in the ass to get up here, and I won't be able to try them first.

2. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I think the default answer for those who want the sealed 8x10 sound in a half-size package is the Ampeg SVT-410HE cabinet, which is precisely what it is. It has a tweeter, but you can turn it off with the crossover, and is readily available from many retailers or used.

The only catch is they are 8 ohms and SVTs (and similar 300 watt heads) may only operate at 4 or 2 ohms. I bet the 410HE would sound great with your GK Fusion 550, though! I use a 1001RB-II with an Ampeg 8x10 when the load-in allows for it.

96Brigadier likes this.
  3. The YBA-300 will run 8 ohms all day long, so I wouldn't worry about that. Depending where you are in the Great White North and the depth of your budget, I would look at the Berg NV610. L&M are the Berg dealer in Canada. I know that the Markham store carries Berg in the shop and that you can order them from any L&M and have them sent to the store of your choice.
    Fishheadjoe

eriky4003 and 96Brigadier like this.
  4. 96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I've read about the Berg NV610... I just wish I could try some of these cabinets before buying! I'll spend the money to get the tone I want, but I don't want to spend the money without hearing it first.

5. Canada is a big place, be more specific! :D

6. 96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    Calgary. Choices primarily limited to L&M.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  7. 96Brigadier,
    You could always see if the L&M in Calgary has had a local customer buy one and maybe you could demo? I'd say Berg is the best stuff we can order in Canada and have retail support. Barefaced would likely be another great choice but again, no retail support and you can't demo one unless you find a current client in your 'hood.

8. If you like the Traynor 810, maybe look at the 410 - half the size and I've generally had great experiences with Traynor stuff. I'm going to say from personal experience that a 610 tends not to be smaller than an 810 by enough to make a pragmatic difference. Also, I've had difficulty with L&M in the past regarding ordering stuff, they just generally don't want to do it, at least not in store. You could also check out axe music, they're Canadian retailers based in Alberta and might have something similar.