1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick a cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotch11, May 21, 2011.

1. I have a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10, and as much as I love it, its getting a bit much to haul around in my Honda Civic (its a miracle it fits in the back seat!) Not to mention the 100lb. weight of the thing...

I tried an Epifani 3x10 and the hi-fi sound it produced was definitely not for me. Although being able to lift it with one arm was pretty amazing!

I play funk/rock/reggae/indie kinda stuff and use a M-Pulse 600 head. I love Mesa but am open to try other brands if they will allow me to be a bit more portable without sacrificing that sweet sweet tone.

Does anyone have any recommendations on smaller and lighter cabs that will give me roughly the same kinda juicy tone as the Mesa?

2. dmot002

dmot002

Nov 12, 2010
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I would recommend a fEARful 15/6. Capable of huge volume, sounds any way you want it and weighs about 50LBS.

4. Any experience with Orange, Genz Benz, or Bergantino cabs? I've never tried 12" cabs, can they keep up with heavy slap bass? I'm thinking maybe a 2x10 and a 1x15? Too many decisions!

5. dmot002

dmot002

Nov 12, 2010

I have 2 Mesa powerhouse 2 x 12 cabinets and there is plenty of thump and thunder !!! To my ear Mesa 2 x 12 cabinets are more articulate and less muddy than there 4 x 10 cabinet. Go give one a try ....

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Bergantino AE410 if you can find one?

7. S.B.

S.B.

Sep 28, 2007
    Winter Park Florida
    Love my Avatar Neo 410 . light and full sound, IMHO

8. +1

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A HT112ER/EX112ER mini-stack would do the trick IMO...

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have the same Mesa 410 and love the tone but agree its an awkward shape to lift and very very heavy. I own BASSIST"s former Shroeder 1212BMF cab and it does an amazing job of keeping up volume wise. Its a 36 pound cabinet and can be tossed into the back seat of the car with one hand. 212, 4ohms and 800 watts. It doesn't have the same warmth and punch as the Mesa cab but its clear loud and focused. If light and loud are priorities, a Schroeder is a good choice.

11. fatcrabb

fatcrabb In order for me to get down I got to get into D

Mar 29, 2008
    Corona California
    My AE410 Bergie continues to blow me away. I have yet to encounter a venue or situation where it didnt sound silky smooth. Plenty of punch, and a little bite.

12. Awesome thanks a lot guys, got plenty to think about now... I've never seeing any Shroeder gear before but will try and hunt some down to try. As for the Bergie's, I was under the impression they were crispy clean cabs like Markbass/Epifani?

13. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    I use Mesa cabs, but I also have a GK Neo 1x12.

The GK doesn't have the same tone as the Mesas but it doesnt have that sterile(IMO) HI-FI sound. Two of them would sound great. VERY lightweight.

14. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'll put in another vote for a Berg AE410! Played my first one today and I'll be buying it for sure! Sounded very natural and even, to my ears, with a very tight bottom-end, solid mids and a natural top-end. (Ran it using my Thunderfunk TB550.)
    Have been using an Aguilar GS410 and I like the Berg a lot more, especially the top-end. Also played an AE212 and that was cool too, but not quite as good for slapping or playing a bit more aggressively.

Cheers,

EG

15. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1

Although I have a fEARful 12/6 which weighs under 40lbs. I use a 12/sub under it when I need some extra volume. I like the modular se-up. But if I were to do it again I would build a 15/6. Mainly because the neo speaker prices are through the roof now and a 12" speaker cost the same or more than the 15"
    I was looking at the PH2X12 (great cab by the way)before I built the fearful set-up. The fEARful gives me more of everything I was going to get out of the PH212.

16. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    The Orange SP210 is the one for me - have been using it regularly on every gig over the last year or so, including small/medium size sound stages. The size (tiny) and weight (37lb) are amazing in comparison to the decent level of sound quality and volume you get. I have had nothing but positive feedback so far from band, audience and sound engineers.