help me pick a cheap 5 string (was : i can't think of a catchy title ...)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Mar 3, 2002.

1. it's my birthday on the 7th (woo-hoo!) and my mum is putting $425 towards a new bass, i'm putting in $140 bringing the total to $565

i want to buy a 5-string and string it EADGC giving me an extra high note. is it simply a case of changing the nut or is there more to it than that?

or perhaps i could buy a 6-string and have the x-tra LOW as well. would i be able to find a decent 1 for that price?

i've been recomended a Tanglewood Curbow. i've never heard of it b4, is it n e good

have u got n e suggestions for that price? it must have 24 frets and preferably a small-ish body

i really need this new bass, and fairly soon as mine is falling apart so i can't go n e higher than the price i've given

thanx 4 ne help

2. Are you talking dollars or pounds here mate. If you are talking GBP then well, Ibanez BTB406QM is definetly a viable option. Though it does have a big body. Im sure a Yamaha 6er will be in that range too.

3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I would put that money on an MTD kingston or hier bass.. very good basses in your price range
  4. i'm talking U.S dollers, i converted it because most of the people here seem to be from the U.S, plus, the pound sign doesn't work on my keyboard, it just puts # on the screen,
    but in U.K money i have 400 to spend

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I reccomend the MTD Kingston also,I've only played the 4 string,but the 5-string is probably good also.Alot of people really like MTD's arund here.I think the 4-string is arund $489.99 in us dollars,so you'll still have some money left over!I suggest you play all of these before you buy one.
  6. ok a few questions
    why do u want a high C instead of a low B......wen i first got my 5, i had the shop string it with a high C, with the intent on using it loads for chordal playing etc...but i have to say, i didn't use that much at all, so i re-strung it with a low B, and i use it a hell of a lot more!...and i play every kind of music! if u really must have a C string, i say get a 6'er

and y must it have 24 frets?...i generally want 24 frets cos i like playing chordal stuff, and 24frets is a must have for that, but u probly have different circumstances. Its often been said that 22 frets and less make for a better slap tone!

off the top of my head, the Basses i'd recomend are

Any Yamaha 5 or 6
    Bass Collection 5 (what i have)
    Ibanez BTB 5's and 6's
    MTD Kingstons/Heirs 5's

hope this helps
  7. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    i dont got n e idea whut u r seying
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  9. my recommendation would be a Dean Edge Q6, awesome bass for a nice price (559$ at
  10. wotnwhy, look out for the RBX seies from yamaha, Inparticular the rbx 765 and the actice model(with A on the end :) )

washburn also do a nice variety of 5 and 6 string basses in your price range.

The MTD stuff's looking nice, but i've not seen anyone supplying them here yet, and my local bass emporium is a dealer.

I own a an Early yammy trb 5 fretless, there nice basses,, i'd look out for a used one of those, new they go for around 700 in the standard colours, a little more in the amber.

i found mine in unused condidtion, with a hardcase for just under 400.

make sure you look at used basses, it's your money so take all the time you need. go to the best music store in your area,, get friendly with them and ask them to keep an eye out for what you want, give them your number and ask them to call you. this way you'll have people in the 'business doing you a favour,, they know whats good or bad (hopefully :) )

if you had the bread, then the beast or gredel are excellent, but at 2 x what you have to spend it's probably not an option.

good luck,, tell us what you get

oh,, perhaps the B would be a better choice than the C. while the C is usable, it's harder IMO to incorporate it into tunes. B on the other hand lend its self to playing NOtes higher up that you would have to play lower down on the E!!

think about it,,
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    1) string it with a low B. trust us.

2) corts/tanglewoods are nice. but get a B5 not a curbow - wenge neck, bart pickups, nice 2 piece bridge...they smoke.

3) you do realize it takes just as many key clicks to type n e as it does any? same time commitment for you, and it would make people actually want to read your posts.

12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    MTD Kingston is in your price range, and a nice bass for the dough too. Do some searches on 'Kingston' in the forums, and you'll find a lot of input. There are reviews of these basses in other places across the web as well.
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    unfortunately i have never played the dean basses not the MTD. my limited experience is realted to other basses, i can recommend a Fender jazz bass V MIM standard or deluxe and the Ibanez ATK and BTB, even if i'm afraid the the ATK is not availble in the USA. these are great basses.