Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick a fender please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maju dragon, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Hey guys, im currently looking for a bass. I've come to the conclusion that i want a fender bass of some sort. It can be either Jazz or Precision and my price range is up to $850.
    I just want a good sound, like one that could be used for all types of music and such. A fast neck with a good feel would also be nice. And one that i could use any technique on.
    I currently play mostly rock, but am open to learning all genres of music. I hope this gives you enough information about me and the bass I am searching for. All i want is your opinion on what would be the best possible bass for me right now. oh yea, and i also want this bass to last for a couple of years....

thanks for all your help.

2. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    American Standard Jazz All the way.

But id love to have a P-bass to so id probably either wait till i had enough money to buy a used Jazz and a used Pbass

Or if i couldnt wait id just got out and buy a Brand new MIM Jazz and MIM Pbass

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Done and done!!!:bassist:

4. I own both the Marcus Miller and Geddy Lee Jazz basses, and would recommend both, but the Marcus Miller is my first choice (active and passive) Very versatile IMO.

5. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you do a search, TB'ers LOVE Geddy Lee's. Great Value $700 new $500 used and the necks are fairly consistant. For $850, I'd buy a used Geddy for a nice axe and a used MIM PBass for vesatility. I'm a Jazz man myself though so I'd be fine with just the Geddy.

6. Fender Reggie Hamilton bass. Only fretted P/J in the lineup, and right in your range.

7. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I like the feel of the Geddy Lee a lot but have been VERY disappointed in the sound, even with new pick-ups.

My vote is for a Mike Dirnt P Bass.

8. I'd go with the American Series Jazz Bass.

9. Honestly, if you want a bass to play all types of music you should pick the American Standard Jazz Bass.

10. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Out of the Fender basses I've owned, my favorite is a P-J set up and a Badass bridge on a Precision body. You could probably find a good example used is you look hard enough.

11. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    After playing a few fenders, the Aerodyne stands out as a great setup. Its got a super-thin body and a p/j pickup combo. AND it just looks plain bad-ass.

12. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Well, if your into pop punk, or indie emo the P bass is probably good, but the jazz is easier to play. a drop-tuned jazz bass sounds like heaven. i play in a punk band with my deluxe active jazz bass, and it is easier to play than the americans ive tried

13. Junojesu

Junojesu

Jan 16, 2006
    Marcus Miller....wicked bass

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd say Geddy Lee or Marcus Miller.

15. thanks for your opinions and suggestions guys, you people are very helpful!
    so out of all these reply's, i've narrowed it down to 3...
    1. Geddy Lee Jazz
    2. American Series Jazz
    3. Marcuss Miller Jazz

So it seems that everyone enjoys the Jazz models. well, i personaly like the Jazz models to. I currently have an Ibanez right now...and im not enjoying it a whole lot.(which makes me want to get a new bass) So sense i dont like it, and i play in my youth groups worship band weekly....i play the fender MIA Jazz bass they have lying around. and i enjoy it sooooo much. It has such a nice neck, and the tone and sound is amazing!
    A about 2 months ago, i went to my local GC, and saw this sweet Jazz bass i had never seen before. I picked it up and played it, and i loved it. It just happend to be the Marcuss Miller Jazz, and now that i know that some people actually like it, there is a possiblitly i might get it.

so thanks guys, and if anyone wants to give opinions and stuff still, by all means go ahead. It is appreciated.:)

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Fender MIA Jazz is a good play. But I'd like to also suggest you check out the lakland skyline series as well.

17. I also play in a church band and find that my American Series Jazz is great for the job. With the S1 switch the Jazz is even more versatile then before.

18. Highway One Jazz if you want it fast! If not, Japan's Geddy and Miller!

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love my USA passive Jazz. $850 is pushing it on that model though, you may have to look around for that price. Don't count out Indi86's recommendation of the Reggie Hamilton bass. A P/J will give you the classic P tone, with additional flexibility of the J pickup. Both full up it sounds great for slapping, with the P soloed it's perfect for everything else.

The good news: IME you absolutely can't go wrong with a Fender in that price range. No matter what you get be prepared to be very happy.